Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sync speed on new line  (Read 12331 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Sync speed on new line
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »

Have you checked within, and close by, your own domain for any strong RFI emitters?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »

I've nothing to check with for any local RFI issues unfortunately.

The only things that I can think of that could have an impact on the line all occured months back:

- Our internal oil boiler was replaced in October with an external oil boiler that is beneath the dropwire going back to the main DP. The line wasn't installed until after this so I would be none the wiser if there was any RFI from the boiler looking back at the earlier error free logs.

- The washing machine (located in the rear of the house relatively near the dropwire which passes by kitchen) had an issue with a PCB which was replaced on Wednesday. Again, if there wasn any RFI issues from that, it's not something that I would have expected to carry on now.

- The rest of the overhead line goes back along the main road where several months back the street lamps were upgraded to LED. Again, don't believe the most recent blips are linked with that.

I'll see what happens over the next few days. It's unfortunate that MWDS is coming to a close at this time as the logs are a great help at seeing things in detail over time. I'm keeping DSLstat graphs but it's not quite the same.

**Edit**
Even as I type this reply, I've seen that the FEC errors are back at just after 22:02.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »

Another fun mystery is happening on my line now. Sunday both the down and upstream SNRM took severe hits and dropped from ~6.2db to ~3db from around midday to late evening. Without reason they both returned to ~6db and carried on. CRCs started in single digit figures and FECs carried on doing there strange ~200,000/~100,000/nothing movements upstream only.

Unfortunately for some reason DSLstats stopped capturing logs from the 14th March so I've nothing to look at over the last few days. Luckily for me, it's all started again at just before 2am this morning. Downstream SNRM is 5.4db but upstream is 2.9db, CRCs ~10/min, FECs as before, some ESs >10/hour (no SES).

I'm on an ECI cab (now that MDWS is no longer there to view) and pretty sure that it's not related to the 3db changes.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 06:10:47 PM »

I can't think of anything that would give rise to such an experience. However from the text file that you have made available, I note --

ES:             177             1352
SES:            46              0
UAS:            156             110
AS:             1282302

All UAS, ES and SES should be viewed with a degree of concern.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »

The upstream sharp dip could indicate an emerging HR fault.  The down spike then back up at lower level is something I've observed on several lines usually occurring when the phone rings and whilst on a call.   However with it being 1:45 I doubt this would be the case. 

Failing that a short burst of SHINE followed by REIN.   Both HR faults and REIN are hard to track down unfortunately :(  Sorry that I can't add anything else of much use :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »

I can't think of anything that would give rise to such an experience. However from the text file that you have made available, I note --

ES:             177             1352
SES:            46              0
UAS:            156             110
AS:             1282302

All UAS, ES and SES should be viewed with a degree of concern.

Looking at the stats, that appears to be the total over the last 17 days and 6 hours.

The figures for the last 6 hours on the log are better reading I gather:
Latest 1 day time = 6 hours 20 min 30 sec
FEC:            0               70160831
CRC:            46              39
ES:             46              38
SES:            0               0
UAS:            0               0
LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
LOM:            0               0
Retr:           0
FailedRetr:     0
FailedFastRetr: 0

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »

The upstream sharp dip could indicate an emerging HR fault.  The down spike then back up at lower level is something I've observed on several lines usually occurring when the phone rings and whilst on a call.   However with it being 1:45 I doubt this would be the case. 

Failing that a short burst of SHINE followed by REIN.   Both HR faults and REIN are hard to track down unfortunately :(  Sorry that I can't add anything else of much use :/

I'm not sure when the SRNM dropped the other night but it was late. The landline that this service is on doesn't receive many (if any) calls and is connected in the same room where I sleep (so I would have thought a 1:55am call would have woken me :D).

I've tried a few quiet line tests over the last few days and I have had the odd bit of noise on the line. This might be a sharp burst and nothing more or a few crackles over a second or two then nothing. I've tried to check the stats after I have tried the tests and believe that there has been a small (single digits) spike of ESs (can't tell with the CRCs being in the hundreds of thousands).

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ coming in a few days so will reconfigure DSLstats on that and upload some results in due course.

Thanks for the continued input people!

**Edit**
SNRM graph for the day so far.

Line appears to return to normal levels around 9:40am.

Apparently I had a call on the line at 12:51 this afternoon from god knows who (03303136748 - no sensible results from Google that I can find). Doesn't appear to have impacted the SNRM though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:38:35 PM by Zico »

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2018, 05:50:53 PM »

A quick bump on my thread after having a surprising split second power outage.

At about 17:00 hours, the power went off and came back on within about 15 seconds.

I was sat watching a youtube video and once power had came back on I fired up VNC viewer to check out DSLstats after the router had reconnected.

To my surprise, the connection was reading 80,000kbps down and 20,000kbps up with health SNR readings of 6db up and down. Attainable speeds were reading at ~86,000kbps and ~25,000kbps respectively.

I've never seen these connection speeds since the line was installed. Unfortunately this was short lived. On wondering away from my desk for a few minutes, I came back to find that DSLstats reporting the typical ~56,000kbps / ~12,000kbps connection stats (same SNR figures of ~6db and attainable figures slightly hire than actual connection).

I'm guessing that the massive drop back down is crosstalk at the ECI cabinet kicking in after neighbouring lines have re-connected. If that is the case, I'm slightly annoyed at the large drop off on my line as a result. While I've lived with the connection for 8 months (which has been pretty much stable all the way through) I've paid IDnet for a full year up front for the 80/20 package.

I've fired off a support ticket to IDnet a few moments ago to get them to check their records to see the connection and take a look at what might be happening with line.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:00:04 PM by Zico »

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »

Connection speed snapshot attached to prove I wasn't dreaming.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2018, 08:34:44 AM »

I've seen big increases on our connection at work during power cuts, unfortunately unless you can get a pair swap there's nothing you can do about it, even then there is no telling if or when the new pair will be affected.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »

If it's something that may help, it could be worth enquiring about. It's just a shame that being connected to an ECI cab, thing are likely to stay like this for the next 5-10 years until full fibre is in place.

Oh, on something off topic, it looks like I might be coming down with shingles :no:.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything