Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC to FTTP?!  (Read 5728 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
FTTC to FTTP?!
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »

Hi All,
Long time no see. As all be working fine in Sunny Wrexham!
Well Cab 41 just had an extension installed, and on checking WBC FTTC is now available. So to the few, what is the pain of upgrading like? :( :) Also how does the new kit interlink into your old Modem/router?
Currently with PlusNet, so have asked about their trial program. To see if I can join that, but as yet found no sites picking up on the upgrade. All are still saying 80/20.
Cheers folks, and Merry Christmas!
David

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC to FTTP?!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »

Well Cab 41 just had an extension installed, and on checking WBC FTTC is now available.

Having considered the above in conjunction with the subject line, I had to go and check your old posts to be absolutely sure. You don't mean FTTC but either FTTP or FTTPoD. (Hopefully not FFTPoD as it costs significant sums of money for the installation and monthly fees. It's really a business product.)

. . . how does the new kit interlink into your old Modem/router?

The modem will be redundant as its place will be taken by a GPON terminal (usually an Openreach badged Huawei HG8240 with custom firmware). If you have a separate router (or a modem/router with an EWAN port) that would be capable of handling a faster connection (100s Mbps) then you would just link the latter to the former with a Cat6 Ethernet patch lead.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »

Hi All,
Long time no see. As all be working fine in Sunny Wrexham!
Well Cab 41 just had an extension installed, and on checking WBC FTTC is now available. So to the few, what is the pain of upgrading like? :( :) Also how does the new kit interlink into your old Modem/router?
Currently with PlusNet, so have asked about their trial program. To see if I can join that, but as yet found no sites picking up on the upgrade. All are still saying 80/20.
Cheers folks, and Merry Christmas!
David
There's some confusion here. WBC FTTP is unrelated to the cabinet. They don't add extensions (or anything for that matter) to the cabinet when upgrading properties to FTTP.

If the extension to the cabinet has vents, it's a G.Fast pod.
If there's no vents, it's an extension for extra tie pairs.
If the extension is on the fibre cabinet, not the original PCP, it's to add more ports for more FTTC subscribers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »

There's some confusion here. WBC FTTP is unrelated to the cabinet. They don't add extensions (or anything for that matter) to the cabinet when upgrading properties to FTTP.

I knew there was something niggling away in the background but as the reflected glare from the snow, earlier in the day, had given me a headache I didn't think it through. Thanks for the clarification j0hn.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »

I don't see the confusion as being yours. It's the OP's thread title that suggests they are changing from FTTC to FTTP.
However...
Quote from: Dwight
Well Cab 41 just had an extension installed, and on checking WBC FTTC is now available
Does that mean the thread should be titled ADSL to FTTC?
Or did the OP mean to type that WBC FTTP is now available?

I'm sure a follow up post by the OP will clear up the confusion.

edit: I'm guessing it's Wrexham, Clwyd. It's the only Wrexham Exchange with a P41.
P41 has had FTTC since 2014.
Cabinet P41     FTTC Available from 18th October 2014     Phase BDUK Wales 12b      572     Huawei 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:50:11 PM by j0hn »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »

Hmm . . . I see what you mean. However on checking back on the OPs past posts I was reminded that he has had a G.993.2 (VDSL2) since the third week of November 2014:-\

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »

Thanks guys, your certainly on the ball!  :)
The cab 41 copper had the extension put on it, which I thought was to expand the copper land lines as it serves a shopping center. This activity got me looking back at the dsl checker page. Which had been updated and extended quiet a bit since my last visit. Which now shows FTTP On Demand to the far left and a column for WBC FTTP being available to the right.
But as you say this is the full expense service of putting a fiber to the local and any other kit. We are yet to get fiber down our street.
So thanks for the help again, and I will be back to pester you if there are any changes.  ;)
Best Regards
David.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

Well folks, have done some further reading! And G.fast needs and add on, so our new extension could be for that?
If anyone has G.fast yet, would be great to know if this is the case. So I can keep a look out.
Cheers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

It might be simplest if you could take one (or more) photographs of P41 and its latest addition, then make them available for public viewing. I'm sure we will be able to identify the purpose of the addition to the PCP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »

Well folks, have done some further reading! And G.fast needs and add on, so our new extension could be for that?
If anyone has G.fast yet, would be great to know if this is the case. So I can keep a look out.
Cheers
It doesn't need an extension pod. Sometimes there isn't enough room in the PCP for the tie pairs for G.Fast, so they add a pod on the opposite side of the PCP.
Most G.Fast installs I've seen haven't had a pod/tie pair extension. It could be for G.Fast, or for a 2nd FTTC cabinet. Anything on roadworks.org at your cabinets location?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:41:13 PM by j0hn »

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »

It might be simplest if you could take one (or more) photographs of P41 and its latest addition, then make them available for public viewing. I'm sure we will be able to identify the purpose of the addition to the PCP.

Your wish is my command!

[Moderator edited to replace the attached PDF file (which contained the image) with a JPG file.]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:14:47 PM by burakkucat »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »

It's just a PCP extension, so no G.Fast or FTTP (apart from FTTPoD). :(

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

It's just a PCP extension, so no G.Fast or FTTP (apart from FTTPoD). :(

That's what I thought at first!  :(
But can you tell the difference?  :hmm:
Anyway it got me looking again!  :fingers:

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »

That's what I thought at first!  :(
But can you tell the difference?  :hmm:
Anyway it got me looking again!  :fingers:

Well it turns out it might be for the fiber when it comes!
Spoke to an engineer who was just about to hop into his van, and he dis my first to choices but said it was possible for the fiber.
So "hold my breath. I will not!" but FTTP might be on its way!  :clap: :oldman:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »

I'll say it again, FTTP is 100% unrelated to the PCP.
The PCP holds copper cables, no fibre at all.
The extension is to add extra space for more blocks for terminating copper cables, usually the tie pairs that link the PCP to the fibre cabinet.
Recently I've seen an extension being added just before a G.Fast cabinet.

So it's either for a G.Fast pod, a 2nd FTTC cabinet, or your cabinet is just absolutely stuffed and there's no space for more tie cables for the existing FTTC cabinet.

When the engineer says "it's for fibre" he likely means FTTC/G.Fast. It's all just referred to as "fibre".

The fibre used in FTTP has nothing to do with the PCP though. It comes from Aggregation nodes/Splitter nodes which are housed in underground chambers.
Pages: [1] 2

anything