Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Replacing Vodafone VOX25 / HHG2500 ?  (Read 3088 times)

MattP79

• Just arrived
Replacing Vodafone VOX25 / HHG2500 ?
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »

Hi all,

Sorry.  Normally I can decide such matters myself but am failing hopelessly this time.  Thus I throw myself on the collective wisdom of Kitz.  So. We're on Vodafone Broadband and have no complaints other than the suspicion were aren't getting the full throughput / latency benefit of our broadband.  Everything has a bit of lag, Xbox downloads are shy of the maximum speed and download speed is lumpy etc... etc... I would like to switch the Vodafone supplied doodad for something with a bit more grunt and line hugging magic. Now Vodafone are providing login credentials it doesn't seem to be much of a problem... What's stymieing me is that the chipset specifications of the Vodafone doodad are "good" so I'm struggling to identify what to replace it with. I've looked at the Fritz!box (3490) and Zyxel (VMG1312) but am unsure if either of these offer appreciable improvement? If it helps:
I'd like the ability to do connection monitoring.
Our phone line has had a tendancy to have intermittent cracking and squelching - though not at the moment...
We're in a flat and at least 1Km from the cabinet (which I can't locate* to identify is type)
We're on Fibre 38 but contemplating upgrading due to 4k movies and just being an internet heavy household of many devices.
Budget is about £100.
Business type devices don't scare me.
Screenshot of current stats attached.

Thanks for your advice in advance :)

*Our exchange is GRAYS THURROCK and we're served by Cabinet 8 - but there are a few cabinets with no markings so I can't be sure which we're connected to.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Replacing Vodafone VOX25 / HHG2500 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »

That's an ECI cab

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »

Personally, I like the Zyxel models and they are compatible with http://dslstats.me.uk/ and hence https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/

Looking at your stats, I don't think you would get much (if any) benefit from upgrading to a 80MB service due to your distance from your cabinet.

However, it might be worth posting what http://www.dslchecker.bt.com says about your line (after removing any personal data). As you're on Vodafone, you might need to use the address checker rather than your telephone number.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 04:16:46 AM »

Your line is currently banded/capped at 35Mb (as seen from the 34998 and snrm being above 6dB).

Your line is probably capable of about 40Mb max. That's a rough guess based on the current sync, snrm of 6.6dB, and the fact the line is interleaved. So upgrading isn't an option for you. Your line won't go above the 40Mb cap (upto 38 as Vodafone call it) on the product you have at the moment.

So you line is capable of about 40Mb, but is currently capped at 35Mb. A new modem won't help here. The line will still be capped at 35Mb.

As pointed out above, unfortunately your connected to an ECI cabinet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

MattP79

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »

Thanks all :)

The BT checker results attached. We normally sync at 40Mbps but I upset the gods by turning off the power whilst drilling holes for a new TV bracket last weekend and it's been at 35Mbps since.

MattP79

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »

Just FYI - chasing a better connection I changed the microfilter and filter->router cable and gained on average 0.5dB better SNR.  Since the wife and kids are home and using my Xbox I finally got around to disconnecting the additional wires (orange pair and green pair were connected) and unneeded extension(s) and almost doubled the SNR. As ever, the easiest and cost free solution is the most effective...