Broadband Related > ISPs

Yet Another Zen Thread

(1/5) > >>

highpriest:
So my 18 month contract with Plusnet is coming to an end in January and I'm considering what ISP to move to next. I like having a static IP address (more than one would be nice but not essential) and I'd love to have native IPv6. Plusnet's IPv6 roll-out plans appear to have stalled permanently.

Cannot fault the service I received from Plusnet though - it really has been brilliant, but I need IPv6.

So I'm seriously considering moving to Zen. Are there any other ISPs I should be considering? At £60 per month, AA is a bit too pricey for me. Our data usage is ridiculously high due to the amount of stuff we stream. Plusnet reckons we use between 500 and 600 GB a month, and that report now excludes Netflix and Youtube usage. So it is likely to be much higher.

Zen does not have LLU presence at my exchange (STWINCH) according to Samknows. Is that a factor at all?

Vodafone is another candidate, and I can get it for a great price, but their support is sketchy at best and I'm pretty sure they have no IPv6. Though they do appear to offer a static IPv4 address for no extra cost.

Any suggestions welcome.

kitz:

--- Quote from: highpriest on December 09, 2017, 11:26:21 AM ---Zen does not have LLU presence at my exchange (STWINCH) according to Samknows.

--- End quote ---

They do now.

--- Code: ---STWINCH Winchester
32 Upper Brook Street
Winchester
SO23 8DG
stwinch.zen.net.uk

Child Nodes

STALSFD Alresford
STHRSTK Harestock
STICHAB Itchen Abbas
STMCHDV Micheldever
STSPSLT Sparsholt
STSSCOT Sutton Scotney
STTWYFD Twyford
STWINCH Winchester

--- End code ---

highpriest:
Interesting. Thanks kitz. Looks like the Samknows database is slightly out of date.

How significant is it though? Are there any distinct advantages to having LLU?

skyeci:
even though my ipv4 with sky is static my ipv6 should not be but by using pfsense my ipv6 prefix has stayed the same since Feb 2017 regardless of downtime / reboots. the mod to pfsense allows you to hopefully hold on to it. so far so good..

highpriest:
Didn't realise Sky offered static IPv4. Is that still available or was it a legacy offering with Pro?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version