Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP ISPs  (Read 2551 times)

jon_

FTTP ISPs
« on: November 23, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »

Hi,

Finally, BT are busy running fibre along our road, after about a year of delays - so shortly I should be able to order FTTP :)

I'm looking for an 80/20 service or faster, with no usage caps (or a crazy high one), but if you look at the BT site (for both residential and biz) and thinkbroadband as to who can supply FTTP, there's a few of the usual suspects (AA, Zen, BT etc) and some names I've not really heard talked about before - Spectrum, OptaNet, SureVOIP, Cerberus etc

Has anyone got any experience of these smaller providers? Looking at the TBB price lists they are considerably cheaper than the known quantities like Zen (eg. Spectrum is £65/month for 330/30 including phone), but if they are rubbish I'd rather stick with someone well known!

Thanks

Jon

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FTTP ISPs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »

I dont I'm afraid.   A friend of mine has just got FTTPod and he's gone with Zen.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:18:50 PM »

First of all Spectrum Internet will only serve customers in their LLU areas which is South West England/South Wales so unless you live in those areas then you're out of luck with them. Secondly some of the smaller ISPs have download limits on their higher end 330 Mbps FTTP service, eg IDNet 1TB and for the ones which don't, eg Zen, expect to pay > £100 per month for the top end 330 Mbps service.

You're better off going with with BT Retail, as they offer a truly unlimited 330/30 Mbps for a very reasonable £60-£70 per month. You may also want to consider BT Business for FTTP (again truly unlimited) for better support, option of static ip address, better SLA etc but no idea on what their monthly costs are for FTTP.

jon_

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »

Thanks - that's given me some food for thought. I doubt I'd exceed a TB per month (although if stuff like Prime and Netflix started streaming in 4K that might bump it up a bit) - but I'd rather not have to worry about it.

Is BT's service 'OK' - I know they went through some fairly rough patches, and the consumer support was fairly dire (and I probably wouldn't choose a provider with an offshore call centre), but the business side was better. Do they still suffer from contention issues, traffic shaping, all that kind of stuff?

Looking at the BT site, Business 330/30 is £150/month, so they are in the same price bracket as people like Zen anyway...

jon_

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »

Just re-checked the zen pages, and it looks like they've dropped their prices substantially and have introduced faster (150 / 300) meg packages on the consumer side for £50/70 ish a month..

I was happy when I was with Zen a few years back, so I guess they will be getting my business again :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything