Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Trying to get some sense out of Plusnet  (Read 5111 times)

BobR

Re: Trying to get some sense out of Plusnet
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »

@ejs: correct assumption, subject to the dialogue with the agent about continuity.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »

DLM has banded/capped the line at 49Mb.
Your variable of around 67Mb.
Plusnet should be able to see this banding in a GEA test.
It's unrelated to your recontracting and out of Plusnets control.

It might remove itself in time. The other option is Plusnet send out an OpenReach engineer to do a DLM reset to clear the banding. They often only agree to this if the banding takes the line below the guaranteed minimum.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »

It's probably also on Retransmission High, 91% of 49Mbps might account for the 44Mbps speedtest results.

Another option might be to get Plusnet to actually change the provisioning from 80/20 to 55/10 as should have been done earlier.

It's possible that BobR's line always has had and still does have some problem and the DLM is not happy with it, but BobR has been unaware of the problem until now that it has taken the speed below the package speed that they are signed up to.

BobR

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »

Thanks for all the inputs - there is a checkpoint with the guy handling my complaint at PN tomorrow so hopefully I can get it sorted out.

As it happens there was the worst kind of electricity supply cut this morning - initial outage and then several quick attempts by SSE to restore before I switched everything off to prevent problems until it was fully restored. I think I might look into the recent incidence of power cuts in this locale.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

If you can afford it, a UPS is a good investment. The unit should last a lifetime. The batteries for 3 years or so.

Prior to buying mine I lost a couple of computers to bouncing mains. Since then, no damaged computers, kit (computers, switches, firewall, modem) remains unaffected by the 5 second outages sometimes affecting this area and controlled automatic shutdown for longer outages.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »

Your line could have been banded before you moved to Plusnet as whilst Interleaving may be reset,  DLM banding can sometimes follow between an ISP move.  :(

In my specific case, the DLM banding was removed when I moved from BT to Plusnet.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite
Pages: 1 2 [3]