Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trying to get some sense out of Plusnet  (Read 5122 times)

BobR

Trying to get some sense out of Plusnet
« on: December 09, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »

Yet again I turn to Kitz because invariably it is helpful when I am having an ISP problem.

I recently re-contracted with Plusnet, in the process having had them assure me that my line speed would NOT be affected. Prior to re-contracting I was getting consistent 50/10 results from speedtests with my line synched at somewhere around 65000kbps plus or minus a few. The current status is attached.

However, since re-contracting I am not getting better than 44kbps down on speedtests, which I'm guessing is down to the profile PN have me on and subject to the degradation caused by interleaving. My issue with PN is that they gave an assurance as part of the re-contracting discussion and I am going to insist that they honour that.

Clearly there are very expert people here on Kitz and I would appreciate any clues as to what it is that PN are doing that has affected my downstream speed. I'm running the current version of DSLstats so can supply data but am not sure what would be the most helpful info to provide. My router is a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A.

BobR

Re: Trying to get some sense out of Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »

Apologies, I see that the attachment doesn't show current synch speed - it is 13117/67373kbps down/up.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »

Sync speed is shown in the stats as connection speed and is not what you posted

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »

Maybe you’re confusing sync speed with maximum attainable speed ?

BobR

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »

See the attached.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »

taking a bit of a guess I would think you are banded? you have plenty of snr overhead and the attainable is well over sync.
are you uploading to mdws?

Any ideas what your attenuation is ?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:38:19 AM by skyeci »

BobR

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »

Attenuation attached.

Not currently uploading to MDWS.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »

It might help if we also can see some stats from before you re-contracted.

Plusnet can't really give any assurances that your speed will always stay the same. I don't really think there's much point in getting Plusnet to say something stupid and then trying to hold them to that.

BobR

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »

PN have already listened to the tapes and confirmed that the assurance was requested AND provided! I have that statement in writing. They have the capability to ensure I receive the speeds I was receiving prior to re-contracting so I do not agree with your point of view.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »

As I thought, you’re confusing the two

BobR

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »

OK Dray - my bad.

But what do I take from that? Clearly the line is capable of providing the speeds I previously received so is it, as I assumed in my original post, that the line is banded and further constrained by interleaving?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 09:11:58 AM »

Are you sure your sync speed has actually changed not just the max attainable rate?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »

They have the capability to ensure I receive the speeds I was receiving prior to re-contracting

No, they don't. They don't have any capability of their own to ensure anyone receives any particular speed. What assurance did you actually get? That your speed will not reduce for the entire duration of your contract? The only thing Plusnet can do is let you leave your contract if you're not happy with your speed that they shouldn't have assured.

There is no interleaving lowering your speed. There is only the negligible level of interleaving that accompanies the implementation of G.INP on Huawei cabinets.

BobR

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »

Oh please - of course I did not request an assurance that my speed would NEVER change for the duration of the contract. I'm well aware that all sorts of things can happen. I just wanted to be assured nothing PN did as a result of my re-contracting would cause a change.

BobR

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

Dray - thanks for trying to be helpful. I don't routinely run DSL stats but looking back here's the SNRM and speed data from earlier this year. You will note it is very different to what I'm seeing now.
Pages: [1] 2 3