Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: router wireless connection  (Read 6642 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Re: router wireless connection
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L855-17R with W10 home 64 bit operating system. Wifi network adaptor Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Bilbokitz.  You have suggested changing the country?  Its alreadty set to UK, your example shows Australia, are you suggesting that I change to that?  Not sure if changing SSIDs or passphrase will help as laptop is not 'seeing' the router.  Will give it a go and see what happens. 

Just another thought is it worth seeing if there is an updated driver for Qualcomm adaptor?

gom
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:58:19 PM by grumpy old man »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

Dray

There is no option under wifi to 'change settings'.
So you can't see this screen?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »

Unfortunately his Wifi adapter does not appear to support the latest 5Ghz, 2.4 only :(  I would suggest a visit to Ebay for some newer types of Wifi card.
most will be only £10, and fitting is relatively straight forward

https://www.cnet.com/products/atheros-ar9485-802-11-b-g-n-wifi-adapter-1x1-network-adapter-series/specs/

Edit to include Adapter specs
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:22:24 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

The quickest and best solution to your problem would be one of these.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/wireless-ac-dual-band-600mbps-nano-usb-adapter/smp-awu650.html

I looked at how to dissemble L855 laptop, way outside most peoples comfort zone and to be honest would still not get you 5Hz because you would need another ariel lead for dual band.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »

A new wireless adaptor should not be required as the laptop should pick-up the 2.4GHz SSID.
Do you have another wireless device to connect to the router as that would prove if it was the laptop wireless that was being troublesome?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »

You may not have read this
Also 'hidden network' doesn't show on andriod phone or tablet.  I have tried entering the billion router details on andriod phone, but won't connect.

Does the router need to be connected to ADSL phone line to enable wireless connection between pc and router? I asumed it doesn't so have been trying to make wireless connection without being connected to internet before swapping routers over.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »

@Dray - I did, but have slept since  :-[
This is all suggesting that there is something wrong with the Billion router.
It may be worth doing restoring to default settings (pinhole reset) and trying again from scratch.
 :)

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »

@grumpy old man

should be set to UK, from what the others have said your laptop does not support 5g band. I would still try to manually configure the 2.4 band and see if you can see that on any device.

Reset the Billion if not as suggested and try again.
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »

Thank you for your various responses. 

Things are perhaps a little clearer in that my laptop may not be able to use 5g, but hopefully can use 2.4g.  Despite this surely the laptop software should recognise the SSID and pick up network even if the 5g is not usable?  When asking for advice here on routers I clearly should have asked for advice as to whether my laptop would work with ones suggested!  I just thought all routers would work whatever the pc etc. 

The fact that my laptop, andriod phone and tablet cannot 'see' the router still makes me think no signal is being transmitted.

However I will make changes suggested and see if any progress is made.

gom 

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »

You are right - your wireless devices should see the 2.4GHz SSID irrespective of whether they are 5GHz capable.
There are cases of incompatibilities between wireless devices but they are certainly not the norm, and the fact that you cannot connect anything to the router puts the blame squarely in that direction.
I would perform a pinhole reset on the router and start again from scratch.
 :)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »

I have reset router and set up again but to no avail, wireless connection is not being shown on laptop or phone.  I have even tried an old laptop which has both vista and unbuntu installed but neither software can 'see' the billion router.

It would seem that the router itself must be at fault in that no wireless signal is being transmitted.  Having had an apparant failure with the Billion router I now need to decide whether I ask retailer to replace or go with a diferent router.  Originally I was tempted with a CA receommendation for a TP-Link Archer D9 (with adsl modem built in) but decided on Billion as it gave me the flexibilty of VDSL.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions.

gom

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »

Consider the TP Link TD-W9970 as you appear to have no requirement for 5Ghz wireless. Has ADSL and VDSL capability and is only about £30

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »

GOM,

Install a wifi monitor on your phone.  You will be able to see whether it is transmitting on both 2.4g and 5g.  If your router is publishing its SSID, the phone will pick it up.  If it isn't, just stick your phone close to the router.  The SSID will be hidden, but you will still be able to see the signal, which will be the strongest signal your phone will pick up.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »

My phone has been right next to router but wifi not visible.

gom

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »

It does appear that the new Billion modem/router is defective.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything