Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

router wireless connection

(1/8) > >>

grumpy old man:
I started a thread on 3rd November 2017 about replacing my router. 

Following responses and advice given I have purchased a Billion 8800 AXL router.

I have successfully connected to DSL and can get on internet via ethernet cable.  However I am unable to make a wireless connection.  The router has been set up on both 5g and 2.4g with same password (that provided by billion).  When trying to connect I am asked to enter SSID which I asume is that against SSID in set up e.g. 'wlan-ap-5g'.  Then network security key is requested which presumably is the WIFI key on back of router which I have used in set up against 'WPA2 Pre-shared key'.  Having done this I get error message 'unable to connect to network'.

I have checked W10 settings and these are all as the manual.  How do I connect? 

Also how do I get the router name to show under network status in windows 10 settings.  Currently shows as 'hidden network'.

Thank you

gom

tubaman:
What are you trying to connect with, as most devices will give you a list of SSIDs that are available rather than making you enter it manually (unless you have hidden the SSID when setting up the router).
 :)

grumpy old man:
Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid I don't understand your question 'what are you trying to connect with'.  Are you referring to the computer or router?

When I click on connect to router the first screen just asks for the SSID, no drop down menu is provided.

When setting up the router there are no drop down options for SSID.

gom

Dray:

--- Quote from: grumpy old man on December 08, 2017, 02:28:02 PM ---When I click on connect to router

--- End quote ---
Where is this "connect to router" to be found?

j0hn:
Are you trying to connect with a Windows PC/Laptop,  an Android phone, etc? Giving that someone will be able to give you step by step instructions.
Most devices will show you a list of all the Wireless networks (SSID's) within range. You should then select the SSID of the Billion device and enter the WPA key from the sticker on the Billion.

On Windows 10 the Wireless networks can be viewed by clicking the WiFi icon in the system tray at the bottom right of the desktop.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-connect-wi-fi-on-windows-10-3633729/?amp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version