Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: router wireless connection  (Read 6637 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
router wireless connection
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »

I started a thread on 3rd November 2017 about replacing my router. 

Following responses and advice given I have purchased a Billion 8800 AXL router.

I have successfully connected to DSL and can get on internet via ethernet cable.  However I am unable to make a wireless connection.  The router has been set up on both 5g and 2.4g with same password (that provided by billion).  When trying to connect I am asked to enter SSID which I asume is that against SSID in set up e.g. 'wlan-ap-5g'.  Then network security key is requested which presumably is the WIFI key on back of router which I have used in set up against 'WPA2 Pre-shared key'.  Having done this I get error message 'unable to connect to network'.

I have checked W10 settings and these are all as the manual.  How do I connect? 

Also how do I get the router name to show under network status in windows 10 settings.  Currently shows as 'hidden network'.

Thank you

gom

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: router wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »

What are you trying to connect with, as most devices will give you a list of SSIDs that are available rather than making you enter it manually (unless you have hidden the SSID when setting up the router).
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid I don't understand your question 'what are you trying to connect with'.  Are you referring to the computer or router?

When I click on connect to router the first screen just asks for the SSID, no drop down menu is provided.

When setting up the router there are no drop down options for SSID.

gom

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »

When I click on connect to router
Where is this "connect to router" to be found?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »

Are you trying to connect with a Windows PC/Laptop,  an Android phone, etc? Giving that someone will be able to give you step by step instructions.
Most devices will show you a list of all the Wireless networks (SSID's) within range. You should then select the SSID of the Billion device and enter the WPA key from the sticker on the Billion.

On Windows 10 the Wireless networks can be viewed by clicking the WiFi icon in the system tray at the bottom right of the desktop.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-connect-wi-fi-on-windows-10-3633729/?amp
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:05:17 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:16 PM »

I am trying to connect Windows laptop with W10.

The wireless network is showing as 'hidden network', although in configuration 'Hide SSID' for both 5g and 2.4g is not ticked so wireless network should show as Billion and model number or similar.

I have used the WIFI SSID printed on back of router but cannot connect.

In Status if have found '3G/4G/LTE card not found'.  Could this be the problem?

It could be that 'hidden network' is not the billion router although it does appear everytime I switch the billion router on.

Also 'hidden network' doesn't show on andriod phone or tablet.  I have tried entering the billion router details on andriod phone, but won't connect.

Does the router need to be connected to ADSL phone line to enable wireless connection between pc and router? I asumed it doesn't so have been trying to make wireless connection without being connected to internet before swapping routers over.

gom
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:56:09 PM by grumpy old man »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »

In Status if have found '3G/4G/LTE card not found'.  Could this be the problem?
Not unless you're trying to connect over the mobile phone cellular network

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »

Does the router need to be connected to ADSL phone line to enable wireless connection between pc and router? I asumed it doesn't so have been trying to make wireless connection without being connected to internet before swapping routers over.

I can see no problem in what you are doing. For that technique, of configuring the device (modem/router) before connecting it to the xDSL, is what I always advise and use.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »

Are you 100% sure that the WiFi is enabled on the Billion, as if the SSIDs are not hidden then your devices should be able to see them.
It shouldn't matter if the router is connected to the line or not for the wireless to function.
To prove if the hidden network originates from the Billion device just see if it is still there with the Billion switched off.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »

As far as I can tell WIFI is enabled.  In settings, both 5g and 2.4g are shown as being enabled and WLAN light is on.  SSIDS are not shown as hidden in settings.

When I switch router off, hidden network disappears.

I used the automatic set up provided by Billion to set up router and have checked network settings on laptop as required in manual.

It appears that everything is set up as it should be. 

gom

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »

If you press the windows key or the start button in the bottom left hand taskbar, then type wifi you should be able to select Change WiFi settings. What do you see when you select this?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »

This is most strange as it sounds like it should work. ???
Are the SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks different as I wonder if that might be confusing the laptop if they are the same?
Also I assume is is set for UK wireless settings and not another country?

I've just noticed that in your first post you've put the SSID as 'wlan-ap-5g'.
This will be the 5Ghz network - I assume the WiFi on your Windows laptop is 5Ghz capable as if not it certainly won't connect.
Have you tried connecting using the 2.4GHz SSID (assuming it is different as mentioned earlier)?
This still doesn't explain why the SSIDs aren't visible to the laptop though!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:24:26 AM by tubaman »

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »

Dray

There is no option under wifi to 'change settings'.

However under 'change adaptor options',  I have under wireless network properties ticked 'look for other wireless networks whilst connected to this network'  and 'connect even if network is not broadcasting it's name (SSID)'.

Having switched on the billion router this morning laptop is not picking up wifi signal, despite being next to leptop, so no interferance.  Seems to suggest that depsite WLAN being lit on panel of router, no wifi signal is being transmitted, or at least my laptop cannot see it, but as noted above I can't pick up the router on my andriod phone either.

It may be there is a fault with router.

Tubaman

The SSIDS for the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks are different, 2.4 is 'Billion-AP-2.4g' and 5 is 'Billion-AP-5g'.  How would I know if laptop is capable of supporting 5g?  I have tried turning off 5g on router but network still not showing.  Wireless is set to UK in router set up.

A further thought, in set up details I am asked to go to 'local area connection' via 'change adaptor settings' under network connections.  I don't have a local area connection, only an ethernet to billion router, or wifi currently connected to my netgear router.  Under local area connection I am asked to check boxes against 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' and 'Internet Protocol
Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)' and in both cases check boxes for automatic detection of IPv and DNS addresses.  These are all ticked etc in both ethernet and wifi properties.  Perhaps not having a local area network is the problem?

gom
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:14:56 AM by grumpy old man »

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

I would try manually configuring the routers wifi settings, on the basis that the wifi is connected to your netgear your laptop should be okay and not be the problem.  Your ethernet is the local area network dont change any of these settings.

To manually set your own wifi settings change as below, make up your own ssid and password/passphrase. You can pick a different ssid and password for the 2.4 and 5 bands if you want. You can always reset the router if it goes wrong which is shouldn't. Then try connecting again. Oh and change to the appropriate country, as having this set wrong can cause things not to connect.
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »

Could you tell us the make and model of your computer you're trying to connect with.
I say this because it's not unknown for certain Wifi chipsets to have a limitation on the types available Wifi......
I have had to update the internal Wifi cards on some laptops to enable the correct protocols.
Just installing Windows 10 will not give you these  :'(
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590
Pages: [1] 2 3