Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Silent gif audio illusion  (Read 5565 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Silent gif audio illusion
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:17 AM »

Hehe, this a good one... i can hear the sound ;D :o

Very interesting.   I now feel slightly less guilty for starting the thread.. :)

I assume of course, volume settings make no difference?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »

Definitely goes 'bump' here!
 ???
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »

I assume of course, volume settings make no difference?

No it wont.  The .gif file format is incapable of audio.... in the same way that .txt files cant display images.
 .gif was specifically designed to be small file size - it does this by compressing the image and using a maximum of 256 colours..  which is why its not much good for photographs.   Animated gifs (89a) are just a series of images strung together in a loop.

It really is just an auditory illusion.

It may be possible with some trickery to make .gifs appear to have sound...  but it would involve changing settings on the remote server to parse say .avi as a .gif...  in the same way it's possible to get php to parse .htm files.   Not sure if that would work with .avi as I havent looked into it.
I suppose you could also with CSS/html5 get a hidden sound file to play simultaneously, to make it appear like a .gif has sound.   
Either way it depends on server side stuff and as soon as you download the file to view it locally the .gif will either just be a plain image... or it will simply fail to open as an invalid file extension because programs designed to open .gif files (eg photoshop) wont be able to read the headers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »

No it wont.  The .gif file format is incapable of audio.... in the same way that .txt files cant display images.

I was actually thinking about, perhaps, a bug in the gif renderer, that manifested as an interference (crackles or pops, etc) with a supposedly unrelated audio driver.   But I really don’t know enough to speculate about the possibility, or probability, that such a bug could exist, or whether it could then be deliberately exploited to create gifs that go ‘bump’.

If the ‘illusion’ was affected by volume settings, I think that would be strong evidence to support my speculation, hence my interest.    :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »

All I heard is the wind in the trees outside and my 'Tinnitus' in my left ear  :-\ of a 5kHz oscillation .  :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »

I hear nothing. Because its a gif...
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »

I don't hear anything (bar the tinnitus).

What I find is that my head wants to nod almost imperceptibly at each of the camera shakes, alongside a tiny "grunt" from my throat.

Am I adding my own sound effects because of the missing ones? Or is my body reacting, flinching, to an expected "forceful movement" that the shake implies?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »

This is quite a good auditory illusion.  .midi files are incapable of vocals...  but your brain fills in the words.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6h3pKqYI0[/youtube]

The first few tracks worked really well for me. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »

This is quite a good auditory illusion.  .midi files are incapable of vocals...  but your brain fills in the words.

Works well for me too.  Thanks for that. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 11:14:11 PM »

There were also a couple of tunes that I didnt know the words to and I couldnt make out anything on those EG the Pokemon one... despite the vid saying "Having been raised on Pokemon, the words are remarkably clear"  I'm afraid I heard nothing other than a mash of sound. :(
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »

The effect clearly relies upon with what the listener/viewer is familiar.

In the case of the auditory examples the first two were perfectly clear, the rest were nothing but noises at different frequencies.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 12:06:52 AM »

Another of my favourites is the musical equivalent of the Escher’s/Penrose’s impossible staircase...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O35trvoVCWI

:)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:09:31 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »

I didn't hear anything, and suggesting to the viewer they should hear something before they view it seems like psychological trickery.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything