Announcements > News Articles

Openreach’s FTTP Rollout May Add £7 Per Month to UK Broadband Prices

(1/5) > >>

adslmax:
What you think of today's press news from ofcom?

Link here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/12/openreachs-fttp-rollout-may-add-7-per-month-uk-broadband-prices.html

For me, I am more than happy to pay an extra £7 per month to help Openreach to roll out FTTP in nationwide. But I can see installation charge £250 that's pretty good in my view. Thinking copper wiring are set to retire one day.

kitz:
I foresee problems with that. 

The 'LLU' ISPs wont be too happy about the prospect of retiring ADSL. 
There is still a large market where people really dont care if their connection speed is <20 Mbps and they feel it is adequate for general surfing and email. For them its a cheap way to get internet so the prospect of £7 pm wont go down too well with that portion of the market.

Its how the likes of TT & Sky are currently able to compete where there is existing Virgin Fibre.   Those EU#s quite happy paying the likes of TT, Plusnet and Sky circa £20pm for phone and adsl compared to £40 for Virgin (discounted to ~£30 for first year.   They certainly will not be wanting to pay £250 installation.     This market is much bigger than you think Max.

Not even sure how the FTTC market would react to the possibility of increased bills.  The average joe blogs is more concerned about cost than speed.   An awful lot of people only took out the 40Mbps package despite the fact their line could cope with more. 

Perhaps it may hav been different if OFCOM hadnt been so pro LLU years ago - who knows? -  but those ISPs now have a large foot in the market place and a big say what happens.

Chrysalis:
The mainstream market has already paid circa £7 a month increase kitz on line rental alone, the problem is that has gone to the CPs instead of openreach.  So the market is definitely tolerating price increases. We must remember this when talking about toleration to price increases, the days of static pricing on broadband/voice is long gone.

People will always shop around its how britians work, but in a situation where every single provider has a £7 a month baseline increase they will tolerate it, even if they moan and groan.

Given the way ofcom have been squeezing openreach, it wouldnt surprise me if openreach have deliberately over projected the figure with the foresight that ofcom will squeeze it down.

stevebrass:
If the only game in town is to pay £7 more or have no service I guess most will pay it. I agree though that many users - myself included are happy enough with. 15mbs adsl/vsdl service. Of course if something super duper comes along that needs higher speeds/latency that satisfaction might disappear.

Chrysalis:
Well the article doesnt give any indication this scenario would undeploy adsl, it just said there would be a £7 premium on prices.  It also doesnt say what prices whether its just FTTP or for every openreach service, its too vague really to make any conclusions.

I think ofcom are never going to agree to adsl been retired in the forseeable future, so I can only guess this is just the premium on FTTP.

Its a shame sharon is not auditing the CPs in the same manner given the way they increase costs above inflation every year now for the last several years as well as other charges openreach dont charge for such as connection fees and so on.  I found her talk about cost efficiency amusing in that respect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version