Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Vodafone - switch restrictions

(1/2) > >>

Sambat:
Hi, I started a new contract with Vodafone today, and spent most of the day troubleshooting my DLink 24 port hub, in the end I concluded it was not working so I changed to a Netgear 24 port.
I eventually called VF customer service who tells me I am only allowed 4 Ethernet connections, and connecting any more would “dilute” my BB speed....
I have searched but can only find comments concerning their router, and customers not being allowed to use their own router.

Is anyone else aware of this restriction, and of course is there anyway round it, otherwise I need to move to an ISP that will allow a switch connection (and trying to get that info seems quite difficult)

roseway:
That's absolute nonsense. They can't control the number of devices you have on your LAN. Either they've got some really weird ideas or (more likely I think) the person you were talking to didn't understand what he was talking about.

Sambat:
Well Vodafone won’t budge. Also noticed today that quite a few sites are blocked. I might be able to get round it by changing some of the limited settings on their router, but really why should I pay to be restricted.
Signed back up with BT today and qualified asa new customer so get some vouchers back.
It seems now that the BB choices are getting smaller as they now all seem to be owned by just 2 or 3 companies.

roseway:
I think you made the right decision. Personally I wouldn't touch Vodaphone with the proverbial bargepole.

kitz:
I can only re-affirm what Eric has already said.    Last year when on a cost cutting spree I actually considered migrating to Vodafone.  However when I dug deeper there were a few things I had strong doubts over and I backed out quite soon :

1) They use DLM standard profile.  This may not be of much concern to you, but at the time (and still is to a lesser extent) I was aware what impact that could have on my line which sees sporadic errors.
2) They would not entertain the thought of the EU using any router other than their own.  They are a little more relaxed on this issue these days, thanks to intervention and action by some of kitz forum regs.   However, they still  usually insist that you use one of the MCT approved routers before issuing you with the login info to be able to connect on their network.  :/

The no of LAN side device info they gave you.. is rubbish.   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version