Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Too short DHCP WAN lease time on TalkTalk - 15 minutes

(1/4) > >>

broadstairs:
For an unrelated reason to this inquiry I was looking at my routers log and notice that about every 7 minutes 30 seconds I am seeing the following entries repeated

--- Code: ---udhcpc: Sending renew...
udhcpc: Lease of 80.43.xxx.xxx obtained, lease time 900
udhcpc: dhcpMsgSend: msgType[-2147483596]

--- End code ---

I am puzzled as to why this needs to happen so often, I know that this is micro-DHCP-Client and as such part of DHCP or rather the micro one which is part of busybox?

Stuart

j0hn:
Is the IP changing each time? Is that your IP?

The lease time is set to 900 (15 mins) and as it should the DHCP tries to renew at 50%. If that's your WAN IP then no idea why Talktalk would set the lease time so low.

No idea what else would trigger such warnings.

broadstairs:
Yes it is my line's IP address (forgot to obliterate part which I've done now). I'll ask TT why this is.

Stuart

broadstairs:
Just searched the TT forums and in one thread it was said that if you have a Broadcom chipset the lease should be permanent but with Lantiq and others it may be 15 minutes. someone else suggested it could be that no Option 60 is set and that is why. I have a VMG3925 router which is a Broadcom unit so that should according to the comments I read give me a permanent lease. I dont get any obvious drops of the line or IP changes. It was suggested that the TT Super Router passes Option 60 to TT which then gives a permanent lease. If this is true it's a way of TT making it difficult for non TT supplied routers to be used. TT uses IPOE btw not PPPOE.

I'd be interested in others views but I think I will ask on their forum anyway as the threads I found are over 12 months old.

Stuart

broadstairs:
I have been asked by the TT team if I can set the WAN lease time on the router, well no there is no WAN option to set the lease time on my router. However I was wondering if anyone here knows if this can be set by command from Telnet?

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version