Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does the HH5A support G.INP  (Read 3765 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Does the HH5A support G.INP
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »

Does the HH5a (PN Hub One) support G.Inp ?

I personally believe it does at least on DS.
This has been a very long standing and sometimes very heated topic, see many other threads on this and other forums and one I certainly won't be getting involved in.

With the very limited stat's extraction capabilities of the HH5a (PN Hub One) it's not possible to tell from these, the only definitive method would be to request a GEA test from PN, have seen quite a few recent requests on their forum which have been honoured by the staff members and the results attached.

Another factor to bear in mind is that it can take some considerable time for DLM to apply G.Inp to a new line, when I converted from ADSL to VDSL (with PN) in June this year it was just over 7 weeks before G.Inp activated, your circumstances may be different as you were already on a VDSL connection, can't be sure, others have had similar experiences while some have had G.Inp applied within days.

Edit:

Apologies, have just read the earlier posts in this thread, you are using a ZyXEL router/modem so obviously you will be able to tell if/when G.Inp is applied, I would certainly stick with the ZyXEL, I only used my PN Hub One for a few days during the ADSL/VDSL migration, used a Huawei HG612/Netgear combination after that and recentely changed to the ZyXEL 1312A in modem/router mode, very happy with this so far.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:50:50 PM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Does the HH5A support G.INP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »

Does the HH5a (PN Hub One) support G.Inp ?

With the very limited stat's extraction capabilities of the HH5a (PN Hub One) it's not possible to tell from these, the only definitive method would be to request a GEA test from PN, have seen quite a few recent requests on their forum which have been honoured by the staff members and the results attached.
As there are quite a few would you mind posting links to a couple of them please?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »

As there are quite a few would you mind posting links to a couple of them please?

Too many to list, here, PN forum, TBB forum and BT forum, go back for at least 2 years, very easy to find.
As I said, some were very heated, even the boss (kitz) got involved at the time.

Note, I've edited my previous posting, didn't appreciate that "fwdlink" was using his ZyXEL router/modem, should have read the full thread !

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »

Too many to list, here, PN forum, TBB forum and BT forum, go back for at least 2 years, very easy to find.
As I said, some were very heated, even the boss (kitz) got involved at the time.
I just wanted a couple of links to Plusnet forum posts showing G.INP active on a Plusnet Hub 1 (HH5A).

Not too much to ask? Turns out it was, as usual.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »

I think it's a HH5A. Currently the BT forums are full of complaints about the HH5A being unstable after the latest f/w upgrade to enable G.INP

As has been said, the HH5A supports g.inp and has done so for years - at least downstream - its just not listed anywhere in the modem GUI. As such, so will the Plusnet version.

The chipset also has the ability to support g.inp upstream as well - at least one other modem with the same chipset has been upgraded to do so. Can't say if the HH5A has been as well.

Some details of the latest HH5A firmware upgrade were listed here - the main thing they have planned to rollout is IPv6 support I think.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »

Well, I just asked for a couple of links to Plusnet forum posts showing G.INP active on a Plusnet Hub 1 (HH5A) as the poster I asked had said that "the only definitive method would be to request a GEA test from PN, have seen quite a few recent requests on their forum which have been honoured by the staff members and the results attached."

But of course, none were forthcoming.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 02:15:33 AM »

I've definitely seen lots of them on the HH5A.   If you go back further to when g.inp was first installed there were a few HH5A with retx back then.
Problem being,  is that is also when I first started noticing that the GEA tests were showing historic data for profiles,  so at first it wasnt showing up on all lines correctly.

Ian Lawrence who was Chief Engineer at BT Openreach confirmed to me that both the ECI modem and HH5A were compliant with SIN498 which only requires re-tx on downstream.
Hub One is also compliant with BT SIN498

Here's a HH5a for starters - linky

Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 25/06/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 19:11:37
6. Data rate: 19999 / 68916
7. Maximum data rate: 27283 / 69113
8. Noise margin: 15.0 / 6.4
9. Line attenuation: 14.5 / 13.8

and the GEA test result is here

Downstream Speed    68.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed    20.0 Mbps

/snip/

0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »

Brilliant. Thanks Kitz ;)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »

I just wanted a couple of links to Plusnet forum posts showing G.INP active on a Plusnet Hub 1 (HH5A).

Not too much to ask? Turns out it was, as usual.

Somewhat confused as to why you have felt it necessary to post two, what I would consider to be offensive posts quoting extracts from my previous posts ?

To hopefully clarify:
Quote from my first post.

"I personally believe it does at least on DS.
This has been a very long standing and sometimes very heated topic, see many other threads on this and other forums and one I certainly won't be getting involved in."

Stating my personal opinion only on the HH5a's ability to support DS G.Inp.
Stating that there have been a lot of previous discussions on the subject and expressing my wishes not to get involved.

Quote from your post.

"I just wanted a couple of links to Plusnet forum posts showing G.INP active on a Plusnet Hub 1 (HH5A).

Not too much to ask? Turns out it was, as usual."

Where had I previously stated that I had any knowledge of any posts on the PN forum or elsewhere that showed G.Inp active on a PN Hub One (HH5a) ?
I was not in a position to provide you with any links on that subject but stated as before that there were instances of discussions on many forums, as a long standing and knowledgable forum member I was sure you would have the ability to find these for yourself should you wish to do so.

My sincere apologies to "fwdlink" the post originator and a first time poster on this forum, hope you have not been put off in any way, there are a lot of very knowledgable and extremely helpful members here who will go out of their way to assist other members, please use and enjoy.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »

Where had I previously stated that I had any knowledge of any posts on the PN forum or elsewhere that showed G.Inp active on a PN Hub One (HH5a) ?
Right here
and when I asked for just a couple (2) of links, you said
Too many to list, here
Of course, 2 is not too many. Kitz herself quickly found one and coupled with Black Sheep's recent experience with the HH5 and G.Inp, that's enough to indicate what the problem may be.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »

This post is getting a bit personal now :(  and not really relevant to the original topic here

The question of whether the HH5A/HubOne can support G.INP has been resolved and as such I don't think there is anything further to add.
I've split this off and will move it to the modem/routers section. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker