Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Uber - 57 million hacked, ransom paid, covered up  (Read 14019 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Uber - 57 million hacked, ransom paid, covered up
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2017, 01:56:02 AM »

I certainly agree with that, they may have the brains but the people with the brawn should get paid a fair wage, how you work out what a fair wage is I don't know.

I think most agree, but this is embedded all over capitalism across the majority of entities.  If you own a business you get the perks but also have the risk, if you are a CEO you get paid a lot for "thinking" and "managing" people, those grunt workers can get paid a small amount for doing very demanding work, it is how the world is, it sucks and its a reason why I work for myself now. Uber drivers in Leics are clearing £100 a day, which I dont consider a low income.  Especially for Leics which has the lowest mean income in the UK.

Another thing to consider with uber drivers, is because its all digital, they are forced to declare all earnings so no tax evasion, whilst any cash in hand job tax evasion is rife.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2017, 06:15:07 AM »

Yep, fully appreciate that and have often said to colleagues it those that take the risk are the ones that get rich. It's just a shame that they forget they couldn't have done it without their employees, especially the loyal ones who've stuck around for years, 25 in my case.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »

yep couldnt agree more ronski.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »

Yes if you OWN a business on you stand to lose money if it folds. But how CEO's and other executives own the business they work for? Where is the risk if you have a basic salary of 500,000 pa plus bonuses and a contract that gives you a substantial pay off if things go wrong and you get the push?

I don't see much rIsk there at all. One reasons the 2008 fiasco in banking was this very issue; rewards far outweighed any risk AND the guilty were playing with other people's money.

I agree that things have swung far too much in favour of big corporations. There are several reasons. Firstly the trade union movement in the 60's and 70's overplayed their hand and led to their power being much reduced. Even there as well - where was the risk for some of the union leaders on earnings many multiples of their members?

IT has introduced competition - some good for the consumer and the man in the street (think about how travel insurance has dropped in price). However it has led to a mentally and ability of consumers to chase the lowest price leading to manufacturers to go to where the labour is cheapest. China et al have been keen to be low cost manufacturers. We should all remember as consumers we have the money to spend and can wield enormous power if we vote with our money.

The Southern Rail industrial dispute is a good example.Here we have a strong Union, dealing with a company that only exists because it provides a service to the public. I think guards on trains are a good idea. The government could stipulate this in the franchise. All Southern are trying to do is to make money. At our expense.

Another issue has been the penchant for governments to leave skills training to the market place. Result far fewer skilled craftsmen.

I shall lie down now!
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »

Test this Thursday not happening now, I only just noticed its at a hospital 30 miles away which is stupid, I told the hospital I will attend if they cover my costs or send me in ambulance, they decided to cancel and and make a new appointment locally.  But when the next appointment comes I will do the return trip on the other app.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »

To take the heat away from the london regulators, some news that sheffield has now also suspended uber's license.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42270020

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:10:46 AM by gt94sss2 »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »

York has also now decided to refuse to renew Uber's operating licence:

Intersting, same conclusion, not a fit and proper person.  And specifically based on the covered up data breach.

That could be very good news for Londoners, if it means that the lawyers think  TFL will be able to cite the cover up as supporting evidence when the appeal gets argued out.

Dray

• Kitizen
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

anything