Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line analysis  (Read 1116 times)

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
Line analysis
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »

I am now running the technicolor DGA4130 modem in bridge and have also signed up to mydslwebstats (bilbokitz) which has been running for a few days now.

Am I right in thinking that even now vectoring is doing a tremendous job of reducing cross talk, the base line noise is high ish and my interleaving levels are subsequently high?

I think there is also some form of periodic interference kicking in around midnight most nights or early morning looking at the stats, fec errors and bitswaps have I got that right? All very interesting!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:46:03 PM by bilbokitz »
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Line analysis
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »

I've taken a quick look at the "usual plots" and see nothing particularly concerning.

I concentrate on the two that provide information about the state of the metallic pathway -- the Hlog & QLN plots. The former is as good at it gets, whereas the latter shows that your circuit exists in a somewhat more noisier environment than usual. A good "noise floor" would be around -140 dBm/Hz per sub-carrier.

As you quite rightly assume, G.993.5 (a.k.a. vectoring) is keeping the effect of extraneous noise (NEXT, FEXT & RF ingress) under control.

I see that you circuit currently shows as 122/30 Mbps DS/US attainable, 104/11 Mbps DS/US synchronised. Not knowing how Manx Telecom provision their circuits, I shall just slightly raise an eyebrow at the approximate 9:1 asymmetry ratio of the synchronisation speeds.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:38:31 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
Re: Line analysis
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:11:59 PM »

Thanks b*cat, I am not concerned about the line, I just wanted to ensure I am understanding the stats correctly. I cant complain about performance bandwidth is great, pings could be better if I am nit picking.
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

anything