Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Amazon Echo Dot £34.99 - Black Friday  (Read 14853 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Amazon Echo Dot £34.99 - Black Friday
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Amazon Echo Dot £34.99 - Black Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »

Thanks Phil, I've just received and set up my Echo.

Mainly to use for playing music in the kitchen, I got fed up with the frankly awful sound from the CD player we have in there and all the CD cases stuck on the side. It's smaller than I though it would be, but the sound quality is pretty good.

We'll have to see how she grows on the family, it'll be interesting.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »

I mainly use mine as a WiFi voice activated radio and alarm clock at the moment ... first thing that'll probably strike you is how good the voice recognition is, second thing is the seven far-field mics capture your voice from quite a distance.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:08:45 AM »

What struck me was the weight and sound quality. Voice recognition has been a bit off at times, but it's on a window cill so not the ideal 8" away from walls, and of course she's still learning as are we.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »

I find voice recognition on mine excellent.  She will (hopefully) learn the more you use her. 

I use mine all the time, ask it questions, timers, reminders, shopping lists, music, works with the tp-link smart plug.   
There's also a huge list of skills that you can add on.  eg what on TV.  Wheelie bin reminder and lots of fun stuff.

We'll have to see how she grows on the family, it'll be interesting.

I'm afraid they can become quite addictive,  everyone I know who bought one has ended up buying at least one more. 
My brother has just ordered his 4th (or 5th if you include the limited abilities of the firestick).  Couple of other friends have ordered another during this latest offer. 
Then someone else I know ordered his first one on Friday, but by Saturday evening was saying he wanted another.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »

PS its worth mentioning that if you buy an Echo/dot this week you can also add an TP-link smart plug to your order for just £9.99 (usually £24.99).

Shush...  I hope she isnt looking.... but I ordered a dot on Friday for my daughter for an xmas surprise and added another smart plug for me.   ;D
Already have a HS100 from beta testing for TP-link which I use, but frequently find myself moving it from socket to socket.   So now I have one for downstairs and can keep the other in the PC room :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »

I use mine all the time, ask it questions, timers, reminders, shopping lists, music, works with the tp-link smart plug.   

Only downside to TP-Link is they are normally £24/plug - the Sonoff S20 is only about £8/plug and works with Alexa. Uses a very common ESP WiFi chip, that is also easily hackable.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:02:51 PM »

I'm thinking of going for the Amazon Music Unlimited Echo plan
We know how important music is to Amazon Echo owners, so we created a special subscription plan just for them. For only £3.99/month, listen to Amazon Music Unlimited on a single Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. Amazon Music Unlimited has a catalogue of 40 million songs, so now you can ask Alexa to play just about any song or artist. Think of Amazon Echo plus Amazon Music Unlimited as the ultimate personalised jukebox, with you or Alexa as the DJ. To start your free trial, just ask, "Alexa, try Amazon Music Unlimited".
Any comments please?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:43:08 PM »

I use the free music & movies/tv version which comes with Prime.   

The free music actually very good and finds most of the things I've asked it too.    I don't think the freebie version will suffice though it you want what is in this weeks charts though or some more obscure stuff.   But as far as 70s/80s/90s/00s goes its fine.  Rather than asking for specific tracks you can also ask it to play stations eg Charts or latest hits.  'Stations' tend to learn from previous requests.   The term 'Stations' may be a bit misleading as they are amazon put together tracks which may be based around an artist or music genre.   
You can also ask for some commercial radio stations eg BBC radio and my local radio station.
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 06:11:06 AM »

It uses Tune In for radio stations and even has our local radio station. My daughter's have managed to find quite a few songs she won't play, but that's really recent stuff.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

Argh! Couldn't stand it any longer - 99p for the first 3 months. I fell for it ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »

:)
-----

anything