Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Current Openreach MCT List  (Read 8618 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Current Openreach MCT List
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 11:43:53 PM »

Oh dear. My BT supplied HG612 is not on the list. Should I be concerned?
b*cat joins in the fun . . . I see that the Openreach badged ECI B-FOCuS /r device is not on the list.  ::)
As the main site states these lists usually come with text along the lines of:

Correct,  the list is for modems submitted by manufacturers direct to Openreach.  SP submitted modems never get included on the list.

Nor is any member of the Billion tribe. Does that mean they are non compliant?

Billion submitted a couple of their modems and they failed.   From memory they were the 8800 series, particularly surprising was the failure of the 8800NL :(
Last I heard was that Billion were given the chance to re-submit after making some changes to the f/w, but never did.

Asus are noticeable by their absence although I've been led to believe the DSL-AC88U is being put forward to be accredited.

I have hopes that this one may pass.  :fingers: :fingers: ASUS appear to have moved over to using a BCM chip and from what I have seen this particular modem does seem to perform quite well on the line.  TBH I hope it does pass because atm, its about one of the few viable alternatives for use with g.Fast.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »

ASUS appear to have moved over to using a BCM chip and from what I have seen this particular modem does seem to perform quite well on the line.  TBH I hope it does pass because atm, its about one of the few viable alternatives for use with g.Fast.

I thought one of the big issues preventing Asus from passing MCT was their unwillingness/refusal to alter their firmware to remove certain options such as UPBO that OR did not want consumers to have.

It will be interesting to see if their attitude has changed re:g,fast. If not, I am sure other manufacturers will be available shortly - certainly by the time I can get g.fast!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 01:39:17 AM »

I wouldnt worry billion owners, if the ASUS isnt even banned for all the tricks it does, then the 8800 series modems are not going to get banned.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »

.....Billion submitted a couple of their modems and they failed.   From memory they were the 8800 series, particularly surprising was the failure of the 8800NL :(
Last I heard was that Billion were given the chance to re-submit after making some changes to the f/w, but never did......
Is anything known about the reasons for failure, and/or the modification required? I'm thinking 'no'!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »

What we know is that zyxel devices have newer broadcom drivers, zyxel dont seem to have much of an issue updating firmware for their devices whilst billion seems very conservative about it, one firmware had a problem reported and got pulled very quickly as an example, I dont think that firmware ever got re-released.

So a possible reason is that the newer zyxel firmware complies with what openreach want, from observation on my line I know my zyxel devices have a high UPBO than my 8800nl, skyeci also confirmed the same on his line as well.

GaryW

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »

So a possible reason is that the newer zyxel firmware complies with what openreach want, from observation on my line I know my zyxel devices have a high UPBO than my 8800nl, skyeci also confirmed the same on his line as well.

This may be drifting off-topic...but by higher UPBO do you mean that the zyxel reduced the power more or that the power was higher?  (I'm interested because I have a Billion 8900AX and my US sync is very low at a little over 500k, so even a bit more power could make a significant difference)
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »

I thought one of the big issues preventing Asus from passing MCT was their unwillingness/refusal to alter their firmware to remove certain options such as UPBO that OR did not want consumers to have.

The rogue UPBO options are on their Mediatek chipset devices. They wouldn't pass in a million years.

The DSL-AC88U has a Broadcom chipset, and therefore none of the rogue options the DSL-AC68U has.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »

They claimed they did pass equivalent testing: http://www.econet-inc.com/en/1_1_newsview.php?news_id=103
(The tests in NICC ND1436 being a copy of those in BT SIN 498).

And somehow Origin Broadband appear to provide an Asus DSL-N16 as standard, with the option to buy a DSL-AC68U instead.

I don't think any of the tests cover configurability. You could turn off G.INP or SRA with the xdslctl command.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:19 AM »

This may be drifting off-topic...but by higher UPBO do you mean that the zyxel reduced the power more or that the power was higher?  (I'm interested because I have a Billion 8900AX and my US sync is very low at a little over 500k, so even a bit more power could make a significant difference)
the zyxel reduced it more aka higher error rates and lower snr.

upbo shouldnt be applicable on your line with that speed
Pages: 1 [2]