Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Issues with DSLAMs correctly reporting to DLM  (Read 12417 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Issues with DSLAMs correctly reporting to DLM
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »

It is possible that it could be a source of your issues.   I think most of us here suspect which modem and which DSLAM type.
All I can say is that DLM removed INP on my line after 14 days..  so therefore at least on some ECI's its working as intended.   It seems to work ok on Huaweis..  so it could be likely that there is someone on your cab with one of the duff modems.

Too much speculation and not enough facts right now though. I strongly suspect that even if they have named the modem in the briefing, the SPs will have been told its confidential.   There's perhaps only one ISP that might have the guts to spill, but that would depend upon what inpact they may have in getting access to future briefings.

If Openreach have managed to get the manufacturer to release new f/w I agree they need to make this public.

Likewise I have never had stuck interleaving on an ECI cabinet.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »

Just wondering if the original issue reported here was ever resolved (And if it might be related to why I haven’t yet got g.inp back nearly 4 months after DLM reset)?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2018, 09:57:11 PM »

There was this:
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefingsarticles/nga00518.do
NGA005/18 GEA-FTTC - Removal of Dynamic Line Management (DLM) issue on Long Lines

23/02/2018      For Information

This briefing is to inform all CPs that we've identified and fixed a minor DLM impact on our very long GEA-FTTC lines on a small subset of our DSLAMs.

But we can't be sure it's referring to this issue or something else.

I'm not even sure it was the MediaTek Asus modems that we suspected were the problem. Because there was this at a similar time, and the D7800 uses the relatively uncommon Lantiq VRX318 VDSL2 chip. And the briefing stated it was a modem/firmware combination that was the problem, and although the D7800 has now passed MCT, it's possible that not all its firmwares did.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:37 PM »

There has been a possibly related update to the BT SIN 498 requirements:
Quote from: BT SIN 498 v7.5
R.VDSL2.16
The modem shall support the correct reporting of Vendor ID, Version Number and Serial Number as described in section 11.2.3.6 of G.993.2. In addition non-printable ASCII characters (e.g. CR, LF, FF), delete (DEL) and comma (,) shall not be used.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 10:02:10 PM »

Ouch. Maybe the Dslams are currently sending this data back to the DLM servers as unescaped comma separated fields.  An embedded comma would break it horribly. Yuck.

Surely it would be wrapped inside XML or JSON or one of the many other options.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything