Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Issues with DSLAMs correctly reporting to DLM  (Read 12358 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Issues with DSLAMs correctly reporting to DLM
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefingsarticles/nga04217.do

This briefing is to inform CPs that we have a number of DSLAMs in the live network that are not properly reporting to the Openreach Dynamic Line Management (DLM) System

A specific modem/firmware combination on end customer devices which have not been approved for use on our network and have not been through our Modem Conformance Tests (MCT) is or appears to be causing an issue in the DSLAMs that means they do not correctly format the data transmitted from the DSLAM to our DLM systems. The DLM system then cannot interpret the data for all lines on that DSLAM.

Of course it doesn't publicly give the type of DSLAM or the modem/firmware combination. But it suggests that one person using a bad device can mess up the DLM data for everyone on that cabinet.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Issues with DSLAMs correctly reporting to DLM
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »

Interesting, I wonder what devices are causing this. I imagine DSL-AC68U is one for sure.

Better question is also how long this may have been going on for. If it has been like this for quite some time but only noticed until recently then it might explain why some lines/circuits appear to get stuck for a while without positive DLM intervention (especially banding?).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:20:09 PM by Ixel »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »

Terrible behaviour for the DSLAM software if it allows the data reporting on one line to impact on an entirely separate piece of functionality.

Sounds like some escape character getting misplaced - like an apostrophe in an SQL command, or an angle bracket in XML or html.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

I wonder if this could be something to do with DLM not seeing my line correctly as ILQ green and removing interleaving? Also wonder if this is more likely on ECI cabinets rather than Huawei since their software seems more flaky.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »

I wonder if this could be something to do with DLM not seeing my line correctly as ILQ green and removing interleaving?
I very much doubt it.
Have you tried capping your line yet? ILQ green isn't always enough to drop interleaving. It seems to require a much lower ES rate than just ILQ green to remove interleaving.
Capping your DS to about 50-55Mb should see it return to fastpath within a few days.

Interesting, I wonder what devices are causing this. I imagine DSL-AC68U is one for sure.
That was my thoughts exactly. Might also be related to DLM removing G.INP on these devices.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »

There are a few more details in the ISPReview article and its comments:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/calling-clarity-openreachs-broadband-modem-conformance-testing.html

According to that, it affects both Huawei and ECI cabinets.

I assume that the DLM having no data for a line would mean that the DLM would make no changes, positive or negative. Banding neither being removed nor applied.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »

Have you tried capping your line yet? ILQ green isn't always enough to drop interleaving. It seems to require a much lower ES rate than just ILQ green to remove interleaving.
Capping your DS to about 50-55Mb should see it return to fastpath within a few days.
That was my thoughts exactly. Might also be related to DLM removing G.INP on these devices.

How low does one have to go as my line currently runs at less than 50 ES per 24 hours often less than 20! I would have thought that was way low enough!

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »

I wonder this could explain why lines like kevin's have broken UPBO.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »

I didn't think UPBO was anything to do with the DLM, I thought it was mostly based on the length of your own line.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »

I wonder if this is why DLM has not acted on my line yet.. it's been 32 days since I fixed my master socket wiring..

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »

You could try unplugging your modem and plugging it back in again many times in a short space of time, and then see if the DLM does nothing the next day!

nivek1612

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »

I do hope that BTO start to stop these 'suspect' modems

my US is limited by some factor that no-one can understand and I'm convinced its a Asus or similar using UPBO 
Life is what happens while you're making plans

OPNsense  18.7.* on Qotom  i5-5250U with Zen FTTC 80/20

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »

I do hope that BTO start to stop these 'suspect' modems

I was pondering the "mechanics" of this. BTO would have to identify which modems were not compliant. What would they do then? If BTO blocked that modem (either each individual or as an installed  group) end users would need to be told something. Would BTO first tell BTW who then tell ISP's who then tell the end users? And would this communication be before or after blocking the modem.

I imagine however it is done it would result in a lot of unhappy end users contacting a lot of unhappy ISP's contacting......and so on.

Good stuff for the tabloids as well. Big Brother BT is watching what you do in your house!

If the ECI G.Inp issue was/is to do with non compliant modems then BTO might have considered blocking the errant devices.

Without enforcement then the MCT seems only of use when end users report a problem and get told to use something else - that is BTO/BTW/ISP's being reactive and not proactive.

Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »

Pffft, users like me using an ASUS modem and specifically DSL-68U.... ;)....

But you may not be too far away from the truth. About 6 months ago, I had a fault and whenever my ISP completed a line test they were unable to report my sync rates both up and down would report as zero. However they could determine that the link was up.

I have an option of getting hold of a new HH6 for £25 so could be tempted with that.
I am with PN FYI.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »

In my view BT shot themselves in the foot by not requiring all modems being used to be compliant right from the word go. If they had  done this then it would be a non-issue since they could block any non-compliant modem immediately. Now they have a much bigger issue. Plus I guess many more modems/routers would have been tested by the manufacturers to protect their marketplace.

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2 3 4