Chat > Tech Chat

Mercury Communications

(1/2) > >>

burakkucat:
I have been looking at the history of Mercury Communications (1981 - 1997) and wonder if anyone here subscribed to that company's telephone service in place of British Telecommunications?

I can well remember the creation of Mercury Communications with its big publicity fanfare (in the early 1980s) and recall the installation of two call booths in my local high street (in 1994). Within three years those call booths had been removed and the pavement surface had been made good.

WWWombat:
The service for cheaper trunk calls, by dialling a prefix? I have a vague recollection that I might have done that.

burakkucat:
A telephone with the blue "Mercury Button", maybe?

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: WWWombat on November 14, 2017, 06:42:00 PM ---The service for cheaper trunk calls, by dialling a prefix? I have a vague recollection that I might have done that.

--- End quote ---

I believe they used the 131/132 prefix - and like you I recall using them for some calls while retaining the line rental with BT

Bestgear:
Hi

We used (my company) Mercury in the 80's/early 90's and had a big box that diverted the outgoing calls based on least cost routing.

I think the office still as a Mercurity wall mounted cabinet in there, but expect the contents will be long gone. They also used to have a weird floor standing cabinet too.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version