Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach fibre plan for 10m premises coming 'before Christmas'  (Read 2738 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Openreach fibre plan for 10m premises coming 'before Christmas'
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »

From El Reg today:

Openreach fibre plan for 10m premises coming 'before Christmas'

Chair says he needs to kill copper network, maybe build 5G backhaul too

By Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor 13 Nov 2017 at 08:30 18  Reg comments

Openreach chair Mike McTighe says the carrier has concluded its consultation on how to deliver fibre-to-the-premises connections across Britain by the year 2025 and will deliver its plan to do so “before Christmas”.

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach fibre plan for 10m premises coming 'before Christmas'
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »

Good news.

Unfortunately, I live in one of the G.Fast pilot areas where the pods have been installed but the service is not yet officially available - and I live to far from the cabinet in any case to benefit from G.Fast.

The one time, I didn't want to at the start of a rollout..!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »

It's good to hear the OR head focusing on full fibre.

I noticed while on other forums that places in the US shut off the copper network and turn on the fibre network, like what is being suggested. The switch over will happen at some point. It's better to accept the reality and prepare a well thought out plan.

Though I suspect that the first roll out of G.fast will at most be limited in its profitability, when it is pushed out further to pods and combine this with a bigger full fibre network, then G.fast could be used to cover more rural areas.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »

G.fast will be no benefits to us all. It's still on copper wire and still on BT DLM system on it. But I don't get my hope up too high over Openreach will roll out FULL FIBRE before xmas impossible as it still November this month. Or do OR mean it wil be before xmas 2025?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »

“We need a regulatory environment that moves away from lower pricing to encourage investment in the network,” he said. Later in his speech he said “we need to be able to switch off the copper network. The economics don't make any sense if we keep the copper network running at the same time as we overbuild with a fibre network.”

“We at Openreach are ready to invest, but we need a fair regulatory environment.”

Interesting.   I think there's nothing there that we haven't already discussed. 
OFCOM seem to be far more interested in getting people to switch every year.   IMHO encouraging users to switch to find the cheapest deal and 'new customers only' type deals does not help the industry. 
Customers should be more rewarded for loyalty which in turn encourages the SPs to provide good customer service rather than penny pinching on CS and bandwidth to pull in more customers.  The amount of cash that ISPs must 'waste' each year on migration costs to Openreach and new modems must amount to quite a bit of money.  Then add in what is paid for 1st year discounts and to cash-back sites, its doubtful if any new customer is profitable certainly not during 1st year. 

We've also said that with hindsight if LLU was really such a good move when its now being problematic and one of the reasons why switching to full FTTH isnt as cost effective as it could be for Openreach. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »

G.fast will be no benefits to us all. It's still on copper wire and still on BT DLM system on it. But I don't get my hope up too high over Openreach will roll out FULL FIBRE before xmas impossible as it still November this month. Or do OR mean it wil be before xmas 2025?

It aims to provide a plan by xmas... which discloses how it aims to deliver this by the year 2025.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »

The good news: Openreach will make a plan by Christmas. Sounds positive.

The foresighted bit: Deploying to street furniture in advance for 5G. Suggests partnerships with mobile co.s

The bad news: Ofcom will still want "cheap". Plan nixed by April.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43:08 PM »

Get rid of Ofcom for the better for us all.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:46:12 PM »

Get rid of Ofcom for the better for us all.

One of the reasons for the existence of Ofcom is to satisfy Europe.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »

The bad news: Ofcom will still want "cheap". Plan nixed by April.

I think we do need some sort of regulatory authority, but OFCOM seems to have lost sight of what it best in the long term for customers. 
OFGEM is the same, its all about switching and cheap.   Its not made a better market or more competition... in fact the reverse has happened and now its only really the big boys and we have far less choice :(
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »

That Great Britain for us. Peoples want cheaper. Same goes for TV, Broadband, Line Rental, Gas, Electricity, Water, Car Insurance, House Insurance. Too many go compare, u switch, ofcom, ofgem and probably next is ofpeel. :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »

One of the reasons for the existence of Ofcom is to satisfy Europe.  :-X

I gotta say that I thought the UK was in the vanguard of "liberalising telecoms" (I hate to use the phrase "deregulating" here), in getting non-incumbent telecom companies involved in the eighties.

The UK was thus one of the countries (maybe the only country?) pushing the EEC/EU to ensure that other countries became just as open ... presumably to allow our telecoms vendors access.

Yes, we now have to reap the crop we sowed, but I don't think we can really blame the EU.

IMHO, the blame still lies in the regulation industry for allowing copper to be treated in the way it was for LLU ... and the UK is not alone. It was a european-wide affair. I suspect a lot of regulators saw the opportunity for their "competition" purposes, but closed their eyes to future possibilities for copper. After all, the EU set goals for "100Mbps" that they almost certainly expected to mean *only* fibre.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »

kitz yeah, and the energy industry is the same, they claim because people can switch everything is ok.  We have a culture where people just keep hopping from one provider to the next which is not a healthy one.

anything