Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC Changing Providers - Using Own Modem Connect/Disconnect?  (Read 6251 times)

fwdlink

Re: FTTC Changing Providers - Using Own Modem Connect/Disconnect?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »

When i migrated from minus-net to Zen the backhaul and product speed remained the same and no resync occurred,
Only when Zen migrated my circuit from WBMC to GEA did i see a resync and lose G.inp due to DLM reset, started off on a fast path profile (wide open) got bursts of errors, DLM interleaved it after 2 days, then it took over a week before i got G.inp reinstated  that happened twice, due to the circuit being migrated back to WBMC

I am surprised that i haven't seen DLM lower my SNR yet,maybe they haven't updated the firmware at the Dslam yet???

Interesting, at least you've gotten further than myself as mentioned above, DLM has done absolutely nothing with my line and I'm 7d now and loads of errors.  Speed is tolerable and its as of now not impacting 4K streaming where I'd expect to see issues at 40Mbs steadily coming down from Netflix etc. with a low tolerance.

Nonetheless I'm perplexed as to why its running free and loose which is worse than what it was with G.INP and some minor interleaving going on.

fwdlink

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »

Hi All, posting back with an update as promised (sorry it's a bit late)

On exactly day 14 from switch over, and literally within the actual hour that my switch over had occurred earlier my line had a resync with reason code 1 (DLM) This happened on the 30th and the the following was applied to the line:

G.INP became active on the DS (like my line originally had when I was BT) (DS and US on BT)

SNR 6db/15db  (3db/9db on BT)

INP 49/0 (48/47 on BT)

Interleave 8/Off (16/8 on BT)

I also received an e-mail from Plusnet immediately indicating my new terrible line speed and a few items about expected speed etc.  So it seems there is a connection between the back-end systems on PN and the cabinet DLM, too much coincidence here.  Though I'm not saying that CSR's can do anything with DLM just so I'm clear, but the back-end certainly is aware no doubt.

So on the downside, I lost a further 3 Meg on Sync and likewise further degradation on actual speed, so an overall total loss of 15Mbs, leaving the line the worst it has ever been in my entire time of having fiber.

I have had another resync due to my little one turning off the power and this resulted in an increased sync at 77972 when I turned things back on, but this was not related to DLM in case you look at my line stats on MDWS (same username as here)

Since the last sync, I've been up 27 days and no sign of moving down to the 3db SNR, which is annoying as that should take me back to my solid 80/20 days. The only thing I've noticed on the line is a transient SNR shift which I'm guessing is crosstalk, not sure what REIN looks like on the graphs, it's strange as it appears to happen on very exact timings, e.g. 16:45 and then off at 07:45 but moves around in time shifts but again quite exacting on the time it goes on or off.

Question:  Anyone have a clue if there is a timing or method by which our favorite DLM system will take me down to 3db SNR on PN? 

I've been watching V_R's debacle with great interest hoping I can get back to my original position, but not filled with hope.

Feedback welcomed....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:53:02 PM by fwdlink »

GaryW

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »

If your SNRM is dropping at dusk and increasing again at dawn it's most likely due to radio (often medium wave) interference increasing due to atmospheric effects at night.  Mine drops by 1-1.5 db overnight, although with no negative effect on error rates.
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »

I also received an e-mail from Plusnet immediately indicating my new terrible line speed and a few items about expected speed etc.  So it seems there is a connection between the back-end systems on PN and the cabinet DLM, too much coincidence here.

I think this was actually a coincidence. I think Plusnet send an email about what speeds you're getting after 2 weeks, they'll do this for every new customer.

fwdlink

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

If your SNRM is dropping at dusk and increasing again at dawn it's most likely due to radio (often medium wave) interference increasing due to atmospheric effects at night.  Mine drops by 1-1.5 db overnight, although with no negative effect on error rates.

I don't think it's radio waves as it will drop about 2dB and stay this way solid for a week to two weeks and then switch off, so as of this morning it stopped at ~8:50 after starting on New Years day around 16:45.  It's interesting the impact is really only on the downstream, it's about .5dB impact on the upstream SNR.  Also strangely most of the Christmas break I had no impact, almost like someone went away, making me think it is x-talk however as I don't know how to recognize x-talk patterns on the charts I can't be certain.

What I did think it may be was all the LED Christmas lights as I moved to PN in mid-November when all the lights were going up, now that they are down no change.

@ejs  Indeed you may be right, let's put it this way DLM and PN were in sync with timing at a minimum as it's bang on the money when it all transpired and the e-mail reflected the new sync speed within a matter of minutes after DLM enabled G.INP so it read the line info from the back-end.

@ALL any ideas on 3DB SNR enablement?  Don't see any reason why it's not yet on my line when I've had it prior and all was perfect.

Pages: 1 [2]