Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Running with very high SNR margin  (Read 2809 times)

froody82

• Just arrived
FTTC Running with very high SNR margin
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »

Hello

Could anybody help me to understand the state of my connection.

I am with BT Business on Infinity premium with a 5a Hub.

I seem to be on some kind of limited profile with 6mb upload and 35mb down. What is strange is that my max sync speed is generally around 9mb up and 45mb down. The SNR margin is never below 10dB and is generally around 12dB up and 11dB down.

I have tried everything to get DLM to allow me to sync at higher speeds - leaving for 30days+, turning off for 1hr then reconnecting - but I still end up with the same connection speed.

Is there a good reason why this is happening? Is there anything else I should try?

Any tips on where I should go next would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my current stats:
1. Product name:BT Business Hub
2. Serial number:+076398+NQ63314216
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.230 (Type A) Last updated 23/11/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:10 days, 01:59:48
6. Data rate:5997 / 34956
7. Maximum data rate:8934 / 45687
8. Noise margin:12.0 / 11.4
9. Line attenuation:27.1 / 23.3
10. Signal attenuation:26.7 / 20.9

Many thanks.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC Running with very high SNR margin
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »

Looks like you're definitely on a banded profile. Banding is tricky to encourage DLM to get rid of too. I think I read that one solution was to band yourself lower via a modem with a Broadcom chipset such as a HG612 for a while and eventually it will lift the banding, not sure though.

froody82

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect it is linked to an issue we had about 6 months ago whereby something at the OR end went wrong and our connection was resetting every 2 minutes for about 2 days.

I tried at the time to ensure they did a DLM reset after it was resolved but with no luck. Guess I will have to try again but as there is and was no physical line fault I don't hold out much hope!

One other question... Does anyone know is it possible for an OR engineer to instigate a DLM reset without a job number? If so finding a tame engineer might be the best option!!

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect it is linked to an issue we had about 6 months ago whereby something at the OR end went wrong and our connection was resetting every 2 minutes for about 2 days.

I tried at the time to ensure they did a DLM reset after it was resolved but with no luck. Guess I will have to try again but as there is and was no physical line fault I don't hold out much hope!

One other question... Does anyone know is it possible for an OR engineer to instigate a DLM reset without a job number? If so finding a tame engineer might be the best option!!

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is possible, however the attempt itself is logged and engineers are monitored as to what DLM resets are performed as far as I know. It's highly frowned upon by management to perform DLM resets without just cause, again as far as I know.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »

As Ixel pointed out they risk getting into trouble for this so it's very unlikely.

AFAIK only broadband engineers appointed a job on your line are able to do this anyway. I know an engineer sent for a voice fault can't perform a DLM reset.
So no I don't think it's possible without a job number.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything