Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Network Map  (Read 3169 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Network Map
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »

On the router GUI "Network Map" display my mobile phone is displayed as an ethernet connected device as opposed to a correct Wi-Fi connected device, all other Wi-Fi connected devices are displayed correctly.

I have filtered Wi-Fi access by MAC address, the phones correct MAC address is on this list.

Have also set up reserved IP address listing by MAC for my LAN connected devices and have ensured that the phone's MAC address is not on this listing. (by mistake or otherwise)

Anyone any suggestions as to why one particular mobile phone's connection method is incorrectly identified ?
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Network Map
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:45:04 PM »

I think at one stage you had another router connected - is that still the case? If your phone is connecting to another box which is then connecting to the ZyZEL by Ethernet the information the ZyZEL is displaying is correct!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »

Exactly what Jekv says. I use my Asus routers Wi-Fi to reach my ZyXEL GUI via my smartphone. This makes the phone appear as wired to the ZyXEL as the connection is actually via the Ethernet between the Asus-ZyXEL.

If you don't use this setup, have you at some point? Might be that confusing the ZyXEL.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »

Thanks to jelv & j0hn for responses:

Yes, I can appreciate how the use of two Wi-Fi capable devices, modem & router with different permutations would cause this effect.

My set up until yesterday was HG612 modem and 1312 as router, put the 1312 into full modem/router service then.
My phone indicated the same presence, ethernet, in both set up's. (as would be expected)
There is only one active Wi-Fi server.

The other house mobile phones, wife & daughter's indicate correctly on network map.

The only thing unusual I can see (probably unrelated) is on the Static DHCP page of the routers GUI where I have added my reserved IP by MAC listings, an extra entry has appeared with the MAC address & IP address fields shown as (null), this entry can't be edited or deleted !

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

I suspect it has got confused by having the same MAC address connect to it as both wired and WiFi. Have you tried removing everything you can to do with the phone (with the phone's WiFi disconnected) and then rebooting the router?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »

@ jelv:

Never did have the phone's MAC address listed in the reserved IP listing only on the Wi-Fi fitered access listing, that was one of the first things I thought of, ie., might have inadvertently included the phones MAC in the reserved IP listing, was not the case.

Yes, I had thought of doing a back to factory settings reset and re-configure, I have stored the final configuration to ROM D so should not be to difficult, although, that will likely restore any fault also, may need to manually re-configure.

However, with just changing to a "one box" setup yesterday and instigated a number of un-necessary re-synch's until I figured out that the DSL LED being steady amber meant VDSL synch OK (finally read the manual), don't wish to mess things about for a day or two less I evoke the wrath of the dreaded DLM..

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »

I wonder if this is a Zyxel undocumented feature, as my Wii U sometimes appears as hard-wired on my VMG3925-B10B.  Most of the time it's fine but every now and again it gets it wrong.
 ???
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »

Hi

I could be wrong but I thought of stale arp cache

Many thanks

John

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »

Strangely enough, I carried out a planned re-synch this morning in order to replace the DSL cable, unfortunately not noticing that I had an earlier DLM re-synch in the early hours, that's another story.

My planned re-synch involved powering down the router/modem, no configuration changes made.
When all up and running again the mobile phone in question is now reporting correctly as a Wi-Fi connected device !

My next plan of attack would have been a factory reset but did not come to that, might have been involved anyway as I have stored my current configuration to ROM D.

Next issue, why did DLM change my line to retx high profile this morning, will post the details of this in the relevent posting area.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »

why did DLM change my line to retx high profile this morning, will post the details of this in the relevent posting area.

You have entered into the realms of SNRM XdB and dropped to the first 5dB profile.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »

You have entered into the realms of SNRM XdB and dropped to the first 5dB profile.

Yes, you could well be correct, I did see a DS SNRM decrease to 5dB a few weeks ago without any bi-products, later reverted back to original, 6db for some reason, see MDWS.

I have posted a more detailed account of my DLM re-synch this morning on your old post ref. retx high/low profile, should please j0hn as appears he was correct on his B0 INP_Rein 0/1 theory.

anything