Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Power cuts are evil...Saga so far.  (Read 3792 times)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: Power cuts are evil...Saga so far.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »

An electric oven should be on its own circuit to the consumer unit with its own fuse/mcb. Easy way to test is to see if only the oven is isolated if you manually throw the mcb.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »

It is true the cooker should be on a separate circuit.  But there is often also a ‘whole house’ RCD, common to all circuits.   Small leakage currents in the cooker will then trip the ‘whole house’ RCD, without affecting the cooker’s fuse or MCB.  That is correct operation.

The cooker may also be on a circuit that by-passes the main RCD, or the cooker circuit may have a separate RCD that’s comined with the MCB (RCBO), but I don’t think that’s very common.   Or if more than 10-20 years old, there may be no RCD at all, but in that case it’d be worth getting a wiring update.

Incidentally RCDs need regular testing, and should have a label attached to that effect, you press a button that simulates a fault, to make it trip.  I recently tested the one in my own fusebox and it didn’t work, no longer providing protection, I had to get an Electrician in to replace it...

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »

Hi

Basically all that has happened is the modem has been turned off then back on again, the RCD tripping and cutting the power is no different to what is happening day in day out up and down the country when people power recycle their modem.  The switch on the back of modems/routers do nothing more than cut the power dead in the same way a RCD tripping would.

There is a possibility that when the whole power is cut to the house there is some spike introduced by everything shutting down at the same time which might have damaged the modem or it's power supply, so a new one would rule that out.

It may just be a co-incidence that a degradation in the line is seen after the cut off power, also if the modem hadn't resync'd for a while, then the resync may have seen the modems power output changed in order to prevent crosstalk for new subscribers that have come online.  Each sync is essentially a unique event, no too are ever quite the same.

Regards

Phil

Pages: 1 [2]