Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: replacing router  (Read 3244 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
replacing router
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »

I posted last yesr about replacing my ageing netgear router DG834G. but due to having obtained a newer second hand router did not proceed.  This replacement router has not worked out so I looking again at a replacement.

In CA magazine there are recommendations for a synology RT1900ac and TP-Link Archer C9.  I was also recommended the Billion 8800NL.

The question of ADSL/VDSL was also raised with a suggestion that to future proof a router that supports both might be worth considering.

The specs for both the synology and tp-link do not appear to make any reference to ADSL or VDSL.  There is reference to the synology router being suitable for broadband connections that don't require an ADSL modem, wheras the tp-link apparantely has the ADSL modem built in.  I am confused as I thought all routers included an adsl capability and how would I know if my broadband connection requires an ADSL modem?  Can someone advise?

If I go for a VDSL/ADSL router are there any recomendations, without breaking the bank!!

Thank you

gom

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: replacing router
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »

Take a look at the ZyXELs which can be obtained quite cheaply on ebay and the like. I have a VMG3925 and it works well for me on VDSL. The 3925, 8324 and 8924 also work with both ADSL and VDSL, and I believe the 1312 also works with both although I have no experience of it. I know others use the Billion range.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »

In CA magazine there are recommendations for a synology RT1900ac and TP-Link Archer C9.  I was also recommended the Billion 8800NL.

The question of ADSL/VDSL was also raised with a suggestion that to future proof a router that supports both might be worth considering.

The specs for both the synology and tp-link do not appear to make any reference to ADSL or VDSL.  There is reference to the synology router being suitable for broadband connections that don't require an ADSL modem, wheras the tp-link apparantely has the ADSL modem built in.  I am confused as I thought all routers included an adsl capability and how would I know if my broadband connection requires an ADSL modem?  Can someone advise?

If I go for a VDSL/ADSL router are there any recomendations, without breaking the bank!!

Thank you

gom

Neither of those devices are combined modem/routers, they are standalone routers that require a separate modem as do many routers. Your broadband connection will require either ADSL capability if you are on standard broadband or VDSL capability if you are on FTTC (Infinity etc). Prices start at about £30 for the TP-Link TD-W9970 VDSL/ADSL modem/router if you only want something basic with just 2.4Ghz wireless.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

I am still rather confused by the need for both a modem and router.  I don't have a modem with my netgear DG834G.  Looking at various routers the need for a modem is not made clear. Some routers seems to combine both modem and router.  One article I read suggested that a stand alone modem should be used with a router even though the router induded a modem?

Do I need a modem with any router?

gom

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »

The DG834G is a combined ADSL Modem/Router. Some devices are pure routers and will need a separate modem, some devices are combined modem/routers and therefore don't need a separate modem. You could use a modem on its own without a router if you only want to connect one device, but you can't use a router without either a standalone modem or one combined with the router. Separate devices for modem and router or one combine unit is a matter of personal preference. I suggest you try the TP Link 9970 I mentioned previously.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »

I am still rather confused by the need for both a modem and router.  I don't have a modem with my netgear DG834G.

Your Netgear DG834G is a combined modem/router (along with other things).

Assuming that you would like to replace it with something similar, I would suggest a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A or -B10D.

The BT Shop has the former (the -B10A) at a silly price VMG1312-B10A and the latter (the -B10D) at a more reasonable price VMG1312-B10D.

Amazon would be another source, as would be eBay. (I purchased both my -B10A (almost new) and -B10D (new and never unboxed) from sellers on eBay.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »

Lots of good deals on ebay for second hand stuff

VMG8924 at £7.49 with 9 hours to go

Some of the cheap new stuff (like TP-Link) is "OK" but IMHO you will get as much life, better support / updates and superior stability and support from a good quality second hand VMG8924

I own a number of TP-Link routers, they are a mixed bag in terms of reliability and support - my two Zyxel router which I use 24/7 as modems are rock solid.

:thumbs:

C

youngsyp

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »

I have a Billion 8800AXL (the 5GHz version of the 8800NL) and a ZyXel VMG8924. The Billion is absolutely rock solid on my line and just works. I don't have to reset the target SNRM tweaks (ADSL) as it has the functionality on board and it will also increase sync rate, automatically, when the line conditions become more favourable it would seem. It also gives an overall more snappy experience when using the web, than the ZyXel.

The ZyXel has been a mixed bag but that almost exclusively seems down to the various FW versions that have been and gone. On v15 I used to lose WLAN access from any device when my wife's iPhone was using the WiFi. With v18 & v19 I'd just lose access to the web or certain websites, despite the sync with the exchange holding firm. v16 seems to be the sweet spot, without wanting to influence my luck. My experiences seem to be unique though it must be said.
The ZyXel seems to sync at the highest rate (down). I've seen it sync at 19Mb/s and hold it for a week or so, until I reset the connection. The most the Billion syncs at is 17.6Mb/s. However, I'm willing to concede that could be coincidence with the environmentals that are present at the time, as the Zyxel is currently syncing at 17.3Mb/s. I prefer the interface of the ZyXel, specifically where you can have thumbnails with customisable icons and names, for the devices using your network. Actually, that's the only reason I prefer the ZyXel's UI over the Billion's.

All that waffle aside, you'll do well with either the Billion or the ZyXel.

Paul

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »

Not wishing to be rude to the OP, but if he is currently using a DG834G he has very modest requirements and the TP Link is only 30 quid.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »

Apologies for not following up on this thread sooner.

Licquorice you are not being rude I know little about routers and probably even less when I bought the netgear router.  Would have been a recommendation possible from a contributor here.

Youngsvp thank you for your suggestions, I have looked at the billion 8800AXL, you have mentioned 'the 5 ghz version of the 8800NL' are you referring to the 8800AXL being an upgarded version of the 8800NL or is 5 ghz something I should be looking for in the product description.  I have found the 8800AXL on amazon at £99 is this the one?

With regard to the ZyXel, not sure I would use all the functions you have referred to, I like to keep things simple, so perhaps the Billion would do.

From techincal infomation on each they appear to be a combined router/modem.

burakkucat thank you for your suggestions.  I have recently obtained and relatively new BT router and it was poor, worked OK for a time and then wouldn't work properly, web pages took ages to load if at all, so went back to my netgear.

Thanks to you all for replying and advising me.

gom

anything