Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Switch to Sky Fibre?  (Read 2714 times)

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
Switch to Sky Fibre?
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »

Hi,

I'm currently with BT, getting BT Faster broadband FTTC, getting 12.5Mb, had problems with reliability in the past

I'm getting a bad deal with BT, my contract is up tomorrow

Should I switch to Sky, they have free mobile calls add-on that could save me $ each bill,

cheers
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Switch to Sky Fibre?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »

If you're still marked down as getting FTTP then I wouldn't bother.
It's the same copper pair you use with Sky. Exact same sync speed with the exact same stability you had with BT.

If you stay with BT on a month to month contract then you can switch to FTTP when it arrives. Sky don't sell FTTP at all.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »

John,

the cost of my BT bill has gone up & BT sport removed, mobile phone charges are £40+ per quarter,

so I'm thinking price wise I could be better off,

my line is pretty good at the moment

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »

Have you tried talking with BT's retentions people (say something like "leaving BT" when their automated system asks what you are calling about), as they may be able to offer you a better deal. They will likely want to tie you in for at least 18 months though, but if you are planning on going with FTTP with BT I don't see that would be an issue.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 01:04:42 AM »

If I sign up now & FTTP becomes available during my contract will they switch me to FTTP automatically & without charge?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 02:06:24 AM »

They won't switch you automatically no. They will let you change from FTTC to FTTP without any penalties though as you would be remaining a customer of them.
I don't believe they sell the Faster Broadband package on FTTP so you would need to take Infinity 1,2,3 or 4!!
No idea if they would charge any activation fee that comes with FTTP but as it would involve recontracting again you could always negotiate another new deal including free activation.

You can get pretty good retention deals out of BT. That would definitely be my advice if you're definitely having FTTP installed and want to order it.

If you switch to an ISP that doesn't sell WBC-FTTP (most of them don't) then you would need to see out any FTTC contract before switching back to BT.

If the FTTP is over 12 months away it probably doesn't matter either way.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 02:15:33 AM »

I rang BT about 3 times comparing their new customer contract vs. existing customer & a new customer pays £292 less + gets a new router

They won't budge on the price. Sky's package suits us better because they have a free mobiles call add-on

I'm going to ring BT tomorrow & see how much FTTP will be if I remain a customer & how much it will be if I am a new customer

If they treat me poorly cos I'm an existing customer I'll probably go to Sky to teach them a lesson

Took 1.5 years to fix my broadband as well & I wasted a lot of time myself on that

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »

Try ringing 0800 800 030 for the BT Customer Options team (I.e their retention ppl). Tell them you plan to leave BT as its too expensive and change to Sky - see what they offer you.

That's a better approach then comparing your price to what new customers get and you can ask questions like 'do I have to give you notice to change supplier?' And 'how much notice etc?'

Most BT staff don't know anything about FTTP so you might get all sorts of answers if you ask about that and as said below, Sky don't sell FTTP so be careful about actually switching - if you're expecting to be covered by FTTP in the future you probably don't want to end up in a long term FTTC contract with Sky instead

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »

Yep, call Retentions and tell them that you can get a much better deal with Sky - I'm sure they'll move on the price.
It's worked for me a couple of times.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »

If I stay with BT for FTTP they are the only 1's who provide that service - we'll have to pay whatever they charge

Would be better all round if we keep FTTC & get free mobile calls imo

Are PlusNet good? We could save £189 + mobile telephone calls on top

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

If you change to Plusnet then you could switch to FTTP in the future. Although they don't sell FTTP, they allow existing customers to join their FTTP trial. It's basically the same speed/prices as their FTTC offerings but with the stability of FTTP.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »

I rang up BT & asked if they they had any final offers, they didn't budge so I gave 30 days notice of changing supplier

Will probably go with PlusNet

Seems if you want a good deal you have to change suppliers every year unfortunately

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »

Checked reviews for PlusNet - not good

Openreach contacted me today said FTTP would be available next year but that could be late next year for all I know

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »

Got word from Openreach FTTP should be available next year so decided to stick with BT

It would be worth it not to have to worry about broadband connection problems anymore