Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Unveil New UK Pricing for FTTP on Demand Ultrafast Broadband  (Read 3262 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/openreach-unveil-new-uk-pricing-fttp-demand-ultrafast-broadband.html

The New FTTPoD Pricing Proposal

* The new pricing operates on a 12 month minimum term.

* In addition to the existing 330Mbps (30Mbps upload), 500Mbps (165Mbps upload) and 1000 (220Mbps upload) variants, customers can now order two more variants: 160Mbps (30Mbps upload) and 330Mbps (50Mbps upload). The additional variants were already expected and match Openreach’s new G.fast and native FTTP tiers.

* Reduced connections and rentals, which will be charged in line with standard FTTP prices.

* Withdrawal of the distance-based charging (no more cost per metre approach), replaced by a FTTP on Demand build charge, established through a planning/survey phase.

* Quotes are subject to survey. Openreach will provide an initial, non-binding estimate of the level of build costs. Upon confirmation by the communications provider, they will proceed with the planning phase, and establish a final firm price which is valid for a period of 30 days. At this stage, if the ISP does not want to proceed then it is liable to pay the survey and design fee of £245.14.

* Deductions will be made on the build charge for:

– Each FTTP on Demand order in the PON build.
    – Any additional premise passed by the PON build.

* Multiple FTTP on Demand orders in a geographic cluster can be processed simultaneously:

– The build charge deduction per PON will apply for each FTTP on Demand order.
    – Provides an opportunity for the build charge to be shared by multiple end customers.

Openreach pricing.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach Unveil New UK Pricing for FTTP on Demand Ultrafast Broadband
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »

As mentioned in the write-up .... a potential 'Game-changer'. Great find.  :)

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

Wondering whether whole streets could club together to spread the cost and get this installed?

EDIT:

Might be a dumb question but if the fibre passes an MDU does that count as one premises or multiple?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:32:20 PM by phi2008 »

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »

Followed through to the pricing link and a bit confused.
330/30 12m contract annual rental £456. For 36 m contract
annual rental £1188.

Does it mean annual rental payments in total over the 36m?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »

annual rental £1188.

I think it must do, just badly worded. Dividing 1118 by 3 equals a cheaper yearly cost than 456 on a 12 month contract for example.

Depending on what the typical quotes end up being then I might see if I can order the 330/50 near the end of next year if the pricing doesn't become more expensive again by that time. Hoping AAISP might sell FTTPoD not too long after the revised pricing takes effect, but I have doubts they will.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

I'm hoping any type of FTTP comes to my area! lol

I think it is good that the OR boss is aiming towards full fibre.

Hopefully there can be some sort of grand meeting down the road.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »

I'm still waiting with "amused interest" what BT are going to do with my village.

True we do have Gigaclear installed under their commercial program when BDUK/BT failed us.
However BT have left it on ADSL choosing not to overbuild/upgrade the village at all.
Goodness know how much that is costing BT in lost business.

For most of the village residents the current BT service would not meet the proposed 10Mbps USO - so if it became law BT would have to do "something".

Nor to be truly honest is FTTC a solution as the two cabinet areas are very large and the cab positions are not really near to the large house groupings. So FTTC represents a lot of money spent for not many getting SFBB, which is why I think we were not upgraded under the BDUK program.

I've always suspected that for the moment we will be left on ADSL as to compete with Gigaclear BT would really have to put in full FTTP.
So maybe eventually BT locally will skip the FTTC/G.Fast solutions phase and jump to full FTTP along with full IP based fibre voice access(FVA) for the voice service.
The latter would be a marketing point as for the Gigaclear service you have to pay for a 3rd party VOIP provider which are all subject to the issues of internet availability while BT could run their FVA VOIP service within a protected "tunnel" on the fibre to make it near 100% reliable and with 100% priority where needed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:14:01 PM by c6em »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »

For most of the village residents the current BT service would not meet the proposed 10Mbps USO - so if it became law BT would have to do "something".
It's not a BT only USO. If your village has gigaclear then the USO has been met.

I don't think BDUK can't give funding to BT if another operator has covered the area.

I'd be surprised if a 10Mb USO made it in to law in the next 5 years. More like 2025 at the current rate talks are moving.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:07:36 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »

A lot depends on how much the new "build cost" is going to be.

The old model felt, to me, that they shifted a significant proportion of the installation cost into the first 36 months of monthly payments.

I suspect that the total cost isn't going to change that heavily. What they've done instead is to re-arrange how the installation cost gets split such that it is all up-front, leaving the monthly component to be the same as native FTTP.

annual rental £1188.

I think the way to read this is that after the switchover date, you can only get 12m contract pricing for new installations, because these will all come with much higher up-front installations. Meanwhile existing installations, having benefited from lower up-front fees, still need to be paying at the old rate to ensure they pay back the remainder of the installation component.

The price list has to keep showing prices for both groups.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »

This is hella confusing for normos like me,  I think its the Yellow boxes from February 2018 so :

£92 connection
£253 annual rental
£245 Survey and build cost estimate
£700 Build charge less £50 per premises

So if 14 premises apply at the same time the Build charge is effectively waived?

Personally, I would definitely pay £253 annual rental in addition to ISP charges to get FTTP

I dunno, I need to go and have a lie down

Chunks

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »

The £700 is an exemption - discount. BT will calculate the build charge then deduct £700 per PON and a further £50 for each of the premises passed by the PON.

So if the build cost came in at £10,000 the ISP would be charged £10,000 less £700 less £50 per premises passed.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »

I think £700 gets deducted from the build cost for each property that is signing up to FTTPoD at the same time. The £50 deduction is for all the premises that are not.

If 14 premises sign up at the same time, out of 20, then the total deduction would be £10,100. If the build cost were less than this, then I guess there would be £92 to pay up front; the survey fee looks like it only gets charged if you fail to go ahead.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »

There's an interesting addition over on TBB's forum:
Interesting update from BT Wholesale this morning:

This changes the pricing structure and contract commitment for FTTP on Demand significantly. However, our initial analysis indicates the cost of ownership will be no different under the new pricing structure but will be only over 12 months.

So, the same total price, but with a 12 month minimum contract, and (unsaid) a transparent inclusion of multiple orders.

anything