Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is my TP-Link TD-w8970 v1 failing?  (Read 1317 times)

Krisbee

• Just arrived
Is my TP-Link TD-w8970 v1 failing?
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

Service provider:  UNO LLU ADLS2+  with static IP

Home Equipment:  TP-Link TD-W8970 V1

Problem:  Taking longer to achieve DSL sync, or needing several reboots to achieve sync.  Intermittently dropping ppp connection momentarily, or dropping ppp connection and not re-connecting.

Hello,

After a more than two years of rock solid connections, my TP-Link TD-W8970 v1 is beginning to have sporadic problems with syncing and holding a connection.  I don’t know if this is a symptom of the router nearing EOL or if the problem is external.

After contacting my ISP’s support, they wish to have WAN ping enabled. I’m not sure what this would achieve as a “quality of service” check.  Apart from being wary of doing this, it turns out after reading my router’s manual there is no way to simply enable remote ping via it’s WebUI.  You can telnet into the router, but there appears to be no “ip” type commands that can be used.

If I could work how to add a Firewall rule it would apply to ICMP as a whole and not simply echo and reply.  I’m reluctant to experiment with this.

How long might you expect a typical consumer product to last beyond the 3 year warranty?   Advice on how to proceed would be welcome.

Thanks,
Chris.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Is my TP-Link TD-w8970 v1 failing?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:26:54 PM »

I would get hold of another router to try.  Second-hand ADSL models are very cheaply available on Ebay as there is little demand for them.
I would expect a router to last more than 3 years, but it may have been damaged by external factors - eg nearby lightening strike causing static on the line.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Krisbee

• Just arrived
Re: Is my TP-Link TD-w8970 v1 failing?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »

After digging out my old router, which made no difference, I was pretty sure the trouble was external.  But it was only after several days of on/off internet that the phone line interference had worsened to the point that it was recognised by BT/Openreach as a line fault.  Turned out to be a duff connection at the pole top. At least Openreach were quick to fix it once the fault was recognised by their systems. 

Happy to remain in the slow ADSL lane for now, my experience of ISPs relying on BT prior to LLU was not the best.