Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Amazon Echo ...

(1/4) > >>

phi2008:
People having been raving about these but I just put it down to a fad, like hula hoops ... then I got a Dot, I was completely wrong. The voice recognition is very slick and accurate, and the mic picks up normal voice volume at long range- you don't have to shout. I'm currently using it(the Dot) as a glorified  WiFi radio and podcast player - though I have other uses for it in the future. Very impressive little devices.  :)

burakkucat:
I can appreciate the enthusiasm people have over those types of devices but the cautious side of me would never allow a microphone to be connected to an Internet based utility.  :-X

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on October 24, 2017, 11:12:34 PM ---I can appreciate the enthusiasm people have over those types of devices but the cautious side of me would never allow a microphone to be connected to an Internet based utility.  :-X

--- End quote ---

Mixed feelings.   Mine’s an Apple household and I do use Apple’s Siri, but all my devices have traditionally configured such that a deliberate button push is needed, before Siri starts listening.

Exception is the watch, which simply responds to “Hey, Siri” anytime my arm is raised.  I have enabled that because it makes the watch 1000% more useful.  But it also means that the watch, the one device that is always nearby, potentially catches large amounts of snippets from all my conversations and sends them to Apple.   Good job I have no  secrets, but it still makes me nervy.    :D

burakkucat:
Just wondering if Uncle Sam's "No Such Agency" has a cavernous bunker, in the centre of a no mans' land, with direct, one-way, multi-fibre optic links from Apple and Google . . .  :o

phi2008:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on October 24, 2017, 11:12:34 PM ---I can appreciate the enthusiasm people have over those types of devices but the cautious side of me would never allow a microphone to be connected to an Internet based utility.  :-X

--- End quote ---

Could be right about the mic, I was just sitting in the living room at one end of the house and the door was open, said(at normal speaking volume) "Alexa play Radio 4" and it heard me and started - it was 16 metres away, down a hallway, in my bedroom. Pretty sensitive mic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version