Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Purchase of New ZyXel VMG1312-B10A  (Read 2396 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Purchase of New ZyXel VMG1312-B10A
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »

As the ZyXel VMG1312-B10A appears to be very much respected by many forum members and with view to replacing my Huawei HG612/Netgear DGND3700v2 combination with a one box solution, I decided to buy a "new" VMG1312-B10A at the going rate rather than mess about with possibly ISP branded units having established that members S/H units were very hard to come by.

I chose what looked like a reputable supplier on Amazon (won't mention their name) and ordered the item which was fulfilled by Amazon & submitted my order paying what I considered to be the going rate for a brand new unit.

On delivery, I became suspicious very quickly that the router was not a brand new unit:
There was a "new" bar code label on the box (why would the manuf. have to say it's new ?)
Within the box, the router was not wrapped and had lots of smudges & finger prints apparent.
The PSU was loose in the box, no packing.
There was a rattle as if the PCB was not fully secured.
When powered up, the default admin. ID & PW (admin/1234) for GUI access would not work, had to perform a "factory reset" to gain access. (now had access at all levels)
The firmware was a quite old revision [V1.00(AAJZ.6), current V1.00(AAJZ.12)]
(appreciate that FW can be out of date if items are "on the shelf" for a long period, however this revision seems very old)

As fulfilled by Amazon, there was absolutely no issue with returning the item which I decided to do, did initially request access to the supplier at a personal level to express my concerns but Amazon would not permit this hence the decision to return the unit for a full refund.

Am I being paranoid or was I justified in returning the item ?
Don't think that I would ever have been completely happy with the router even if it had performed fully to expectation, would always have had the doubt that a  "real new" item may have performed better ?

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Purchase of New ZyXel VMG1312-B10A
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »

You're absolutely right to return it. I would have been furious to order a new product and receive one which had obviously been handled (at the very least).
  Eric

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »

I have a B10A (supplied by AAISP). It is working pretty much OK (just an issue with IPv6 after loss of PPP) but I wouldn't buy another if this broke. I'd be going for the new one (B10D) which is the one AAISP now supply.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:32:58 PM »

I agree that it does sound like it had been used before.
Just one thing - the PCB sounding a bit loose is normal - at least the one I have is like it.
It's only held in place by the case so if you take off the top it can just be lifted out.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »

Just one thing - the PCB sounding a bit loose is normal - at least the one I have is like it.
It's only held in place by the case so if you take off the top it can just be lifted out.

When I received my -B10A (a one month old, iTalk branded version) I deliberately gave it a good shake to check for any rattles. None were noticed. Being naturally curious, I opened the case to check the innards. When put back together there was still no rattle . . . so I have obviously been lucky.

Reverting an iTalk branded version back to stock ZyXEL is quite a simple process. So I would suggest that anyone in the market for a VMG1312-B10A should not be put off . . . there are bargains available.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »

They must have open it up for inspection and during the close out stage broke off one of those plastic tabs
which is what your hearing  :-\

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »

What I am hearing is the PCB moving very slightly in the case if you give it a gentle shake.
It's because it's not screwed in. There is definitely nothing broken.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:03:14 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything