Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Expansion cabinet questions  (Read 3006 times)

clayyy

New Expansion cabinet questions
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »

hello,

We've had a new large Huawei 288 cabinet built next to the existing ECI 128/256. Unfortunately, this means its still at the far end of the area covered, an area where engineers constantly complain about aluminium but thats a different story!

Codelook states the following : FTTC Available from 5th October 2012, being expanded by November 2017 . Cabinet is P18 on Aberdeen Kincorth exchange

My questions relate to the expansion itself, firstly i assume the old cabinet stays in place and new connections go to the new cabinet?

if there is no transfer, is that possible? or would it be easier to take a new line when it's live and hope that i get put on the huawei or is there any way to specify the cabinet with a smaller ISP?

Currently sitting at 22down and 4up on a good day - too far to benefit from g.fast if it comes, on an ECI cabinet that died a death the last time G.INP was enabled, too far for FoD, and not in perfect line of sight for a point to point wireless to a friend's house across the town who gets 80/20... so just looking at what seems to be the final option

cheers for any help

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New Expansion cabinet questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »

Existing connections, including those that cancel and the reorder fttc will stay on the existing cab. Once the new cabinet is live all new connections will be made to that apparently.

There are two ways to hopefully get on the new cab, once you're confidant the new cab is live either order a new line and fttc, or downgrade to adsl then upgrade to fttc.

There are no guarantees you'll get on the new cab but one user on here has done it via the adsl route, so it can work.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »

I had your situation and managed to get swapped. Easiest was is wait for the be cabinet to go live then order a 2nd line.

I had very similar downstream on both cabinets. The difference between the line being interleaved (37Mb) g.inp being applied (44Mb) and finally a 3dB snrm profile (52Mb) means the differences become considerable.
I'd have 37Mb on an ECI but currently have 52Mb on Huawei.

The switch to Huawei saw an immediate jump in upstream from 6.8Mb to 11Mb.

Here's the thread discussing the 1st time we'd seen Huawei cabinets being add to ECI cabinets.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18678.0.html
Mine popped up shortly after, and how I switched is detailed in that thread. Itty would have been much easier to just order a 2nd line though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

clayyy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »

thanks for the info folks, that thread makes good reading. i will wait for the cab to start accepting orders and get a new line i think to make sure. my current connection is on month to month now to shouldnt have much over lap. thanks again

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »

How can you tell when the new cabinet is accepting orders?

Just had a new Huawei cabinet spring up at the side of my ECI one, very keen to move to the new cabinet and escape all the ECI issues.

clayyy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »

bt site actually tells me i cant order for my current line due to capacity, i just subscribed to be updated when available but i drive past it often so can see when people are being connected in to it also

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »

You won't know when people are being connected to it, as they only need to make the connections in the PCP. If someone cancels their service on the ECI prior to the Huawei being live the checker may well show availabilty, you have no real way of knowing. It's a gamble but if the cab shows availability for quite a while its probably fairly safe to assume the new cab is live.

Our cab kept flicking between available and full for ages whilst the new cab was being installed, and afterwards for a while.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »

The old ECI cabinet is not marked as full here, so a bit puzzled why we've got a shiny new Huawei cab.

There has been a lot of speed issues on the estate due to aluminium cables and the ECI cabinet has not helped this. Can it be that BTOR are replacing the ECI cab out of kindness.   :no:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »

The old ECI cabinet is not marked as full here, so a bit puzzled why we've got a shiny new Huawei cab.

There has been a lot of speed issues on the estate due to aluminium cables and the ECI cabinet has not helped this. Can it be that BTOR are replacing the ECI cab out of kindness.   :no:
Almost certainly not. I've seen quite a few 2nd cabinets being added in my area despite the current cabinet not being at capacity. It's likely the existing cabinet is nearing capacity and OpenReach are just ahead of the ball.
How can you tell when the new cabinet is accepting orders?
If the existing cabinet isn't full, you probably can't. Watch out for the new cabinet having a silver lock fitted.

If the existing cabinet is full then use the BTw broadband availability address checker daily. It should switch from "waiting list" to an available date in the days prior to it going live. On that date it will jump to available.
My general advice would be don't jump the gun on ordering. While completely full and on a waiting list my ECI cabinet would regularly jump to available as individual ports became free. The next day it would be a waiting list again. I would wait till it has been available for a couple days to ensure it's the new cabinet.

The telephone number checker always shows available if you have a FTTC product, even if the cabinet has a waiting list. That's why I suggest using the address checker.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 07:47:54 PM »

Was overthinking and came to situation when the ECI cabinet gets full new orders will be passed onto the second Huawei cabinet, so lets say 10 people cease there VDSL on the full ECI cabinet then there should be 10 ports free for other customers on the waiting list could they still be connected to that ECI cabinet ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »

Yes, that certainly could happen.

That is why j0hn waited a few days, once the cabinet status had gone from "unavailable" to "available", before ordering his new line.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »

I just don't know it looks to me like a gamble, it normally takes upto 17 days to complete a new ISP to take over your VDSL line the first 2 days are crucial for a successful slot in any cabinet but which one that's the problem.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »

The waiting list is almost never used. I only know of Plusnet and BT ever using it. Plusnet don't use it at all now though.

BT only use it under exceptional circumstances, such as them screwing up an order and losing an EU their port on the DSLAM. It's in no way automatic like you would expect it to be.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »

So it a first come, first served basis' that makes this even more random

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:54 AM »

Was overthinking and came to situation when the ECI cabinet gets full new orders will be passed onto the second Huawei cabinet, so lets say 10 people cease there VDSL on the full ECI cabinet then there should be 10 ports free for other customers on the waiting list could they still be connected to that ECI cabinet ?

I'm pretty sure that John stated somewhere that he was told that once the new cab was live all new orders would be connected to that, the only exception being that if a line that had previously had fttc from the ECI was still connected to it and reordered would just be turned back on. Thus the need to order ADSL or a new line, adsl requiring the line to be disconnected from fttc cab.

I'm sure John will verify this.