Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: zen - thoughts?  (Read 9401 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
zen - thoughts?
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »

thinking of moving from plusnet to zen.
i know zen have get reasonably good ratings on this sites ISPs listing, but looking for comments from other zen users.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:13:27 AM by chenks »

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: zen - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

Personally I wouldn't. There's been quite a few customers reporting problems with packet loss or slow single threaded download speeds (myself included).

See https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7842-packet-loss-and-speed-problems-at-several-providers

Also see http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/f/4509738-poor-single-thread-performance-problems-return.html?fpart=14&vc=1

They did mostly resolve my problem but I still get issues with speed and some intermittent packet loss at least when I used them until the 13th. I've since had a second line installed by AAISP which goes via the TalkTalk Wholesale back-haul and I've had no issues. The only minor issue I sometimes have is I seem to get an 16ms ping on certain PPP connects. If I kill PPP via the AAISP control panel then it goes back down to the usual 8ms (while I remain on fastpath anyway). AAISP may be more expensive but they are worth the premium for what you get, which is a reliable service, people who know their stuff and a very functional control panel.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

AAISP prices are simply not something i would be prepared to pay.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »

I've been pretty happy since moving to Zen two or three years ago.

Big selling point for me was the UK-based call centres, and their reputation for being helpful.  I've not had to put them to the test over any technical issues but even just for an enquiry about billing or change of service, contact with Zen has always been both professional and pleasant.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

No opinion on Zen but thought it worth mentioning that one of the collective websites currently has a Zen offer on: https://blog.thebigdeal.com/faqs-broadband-deal-zen/ and https://www.zen.co.uk/thebigdeal which I believe is less than their standard pricing - and open to both current and new customers

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »

those offers are only if you are also taking line rental with them, and that isn't what i'd be doing.
this is solely broadband only.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »

There's been quite a few customers reporting problems with packet loss or slow single threaded download speeds (myself included).

See https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7842-packet-loss-and-speed-problems-at-several-providers

How odd,  it looks very much like a congestion pattern.  The build up from 6pm from home consumers and 8:30am build up is what I saw once for several weeks when on 20:1 from business lines.
To be fair this is not unique to Zen, and based on the other ISP's mentioned that implies BTw. Saffy said it doesnt affect all lines.

If I were to add all of the above symptoms together I'd guess at one of the BTw shared MSILs. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »

so what is the @recommendation?
i'm still minded with Zen at the moment.
what is the Fritzbox 3490 they supply like? (i'm sure it's a step up from the billion 8800nl i currently use).

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 09:00:59 PM »

what is the Fritzbox 3490 they supply like? (i'm sure it's a step up from the billion 8800nl i currently use).
What are your issues with PN?  I've been with them for years and they are always very supportive when trying to get OR to fix faults.
I've had a fault open since July, and they keep on rejecting OR when they try to hand it back. I must admit, there have been a couple of agents who don't read the notes and try to hand back to me. But a quick terse response solves that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Which Billion 8800NL do you have? the white R1 or the black R2?  The older white 8800NL's are pretty good as a pure modem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:55:14 PM »

Which Billion 8800NL do you have? the white R1 or the black R2?  The older white 8800NL's are pretty good as a pure modem.

The white one.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »

What are your issues with PN?  I've been with them for years and they are always very supportive when trying to get OR to fix faults.
I've had a fault open since July, and they keep on rejecting OR when they try to hand it back. I must admit, there have been a couple of agents who don't read the notes and try to hand back to me. But a quick terse response solves that.

The fact that you've had a fault open since July that still isn't fixed would be a hint that plusnet support are incompetent.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »

The fact that you've had a fault open since July that still isn't fixed would be a hint that plusnet support are incompetent.
The problem is not PN, it's OpenReach.
There is a potential cable fault, collapsed duct but OR are claiming that as I am.just above my minimum estimate it's OK.
PN are fighting my case.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »

Don't hold your breath.
But this is not a thread about plusnet.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 07:14:21 AM »

Don't hold your breath.
But this is not a thread about plusnet.
I was going to come on to Zen, as the wife uses Zen at work. However I was looking for some background on your current issue.....but as you don't appear to like being questioned, I will not waste my time. Especially when responding to a terse statement from yourself.

Pages: [1] 2 3