Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Distance from the cab graph  (Read 2821 times)

Eleanor Rose King

• Just arrived
Distance from the cab graph
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:47:22 AM »

How accurate is something like this graph,

https://images.imgbox.com/a6/a0/7JTTcZOI_o.png

Because I am about 1.1km from my cabinet and yet sync at 55/10 for Infinity 1 and get about 52mbps on speed tests. According to that I should be getting much less.

Also, I might as well ask this here: I have only had BT Infinity a couple of months and I keep reading about DLM. Next month I am planning to do some decorating, how likely is it that my speed will drastically reduce just from turning the hub off. Note I would not be turning it on/off constantly - it would just be switched off once and then be stacked up with the rest of the furniture from the room before being plugged back in again maybe a day or so later. I can use the 4G on my phone whilst it's off.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:56:35 AM by Eleanor Rose King »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Distance from the cab graph
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:29:23 AM »

All lines varies so use that graph as a rough guide.

The fact you're syncing at 55/10 suggests your attainable speed is higher. Are you 100% sure your on the cab you think you are on? Are you rural? Some rural lines have 0.9mm copper. I'm sure other forums members can tell you more and would be interested in line stats.

Turning your modem off as you describe won't affect the DLM, it only gets upset if you keep turning it on and off, its recommended to leave it off for at least 30 minutes each time, so you'll be fine.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Eleanor Rose King

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »

I'm not complaining to be doing better than I should be per the graph, mind you. But I just wonder how normal this is?

This is my BT DSL checker information, phone number removed obviously. https://images.imgbox.com/45/f0/HEyRVsM4_o.jpg

The cabinet number of 28 would appear to match the 'p28' from the Code Look site dunno what the p stands for. According to Code Look post code check I am 1,061m from the cabinet.

My attainable speed is 74 odd down and 30 odd up according to hub stats but I won't get the 80/20 boost for Infinity 1 as I have only been on infinity 2 months (infinity is a recent install at the cabinet here or I'd have been on much sooner). People who have got the boost have had emails saying 'you've been with us 1000 days etc. I have been with BT phone for years but was on TalkTalk Adsl - switched as soon as fibre became available.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »

With an attainable speed like that I wouldn't have thought that you are more than 300 - 400m from your cabinet.
Code Look must be wrong in this case.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Eleanor Rose King

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »

Just to check I am looking at the right thing for attainable speed?

https://images.imgbox.com/f3/06/RQERGuOF_o.jpg

Is it maximum data rate in the hub settings? Or do I need to be looking somewhere else?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »

You are close to the cabinet as Tubaman has stated. The distance in codelook is the cabinet to exchange so irrelevant for FTTC. You should get the speed upgrade at some point as BT say all infinity 1 customers will get the boost if their line can support it as yours obviously can. You are currently at the maximum sync for 55/10 product and should get over 70Mbps if your line was uncapped. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:32:03 AM by RealAleMadrid »

Eleanor Rose King

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

You are close to the cabinet as Tubaman has stated. The distance in codelook is the cabinet to exchange so irrelevant for FTTC. You should get the speed upgrade at some point as BT say all infinity 1 customers will get the boost if their line can support it as yours obviously can. You are currently at the maximum sync for 55/10 product and should get over 70Mbps if your line was uncapped. :)
Thanks.

I didn't realise that re codelook. I sent Kitz and tubaman a PM showing the code look results. Weirdly code look doesn't even come up with the right road for my post code it's one round the corner.

The boost will be nice since it's free, as I read that as more people get fibre in the area (it's only been available here 2-3 months) that my speed will go down? crosstalk or something? Being at 70 would give me a greater margin of what I would be happy to lose. At the very least I shouldn't fall any lower than 52mbps from 70 due to crosstalk, should I? So the boost would still have been worth it in that sense even if eventually I don't end up with any extra speed at all. I have no idea what this crosstalk is but it sounds a real pain.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »

The cabinet looks close to the Royal British Legion club on Hilltop Rd.

Codelook doesn't know the road name that goes with a postcode. It makes a guess, based on what is the nearest road it can "see" on the map (or in some database, more likely) ... so sometimes gives strange results. It costs money to get hold of the proper post code database, which I guess they don't want to spend for this free service.

Crosstalk is interference from other telephone lines. In this case, it is caused by other subscribers with FTTC, where the signal on their line bleeds into your line where it appears as noise. Yes, it is a pain.

Eleanor Rose King

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »

The cabinet looks close to the Royal British Legion club on Hilltop Rd.

Codelook doesn't know the road name that goes with a postcode. It makes a guess, based on what is the nearest road it can "see" on the map (or in some database, more likely) ... so sometimes gives strange results. It costs money to get hold of the proper post code database, which I guess they don't want to spend for this free service.

Crosstalk is interference from other telephone lines. In this case, it is caused by other subscribers with FTTC, where the signal on their line bleeds into your line where it appears as noise. Yes, it is a pain.
Thanks. How much speed do people typically lose from crosstalk or does it vary? If it's more than 20mb then I think BT need to do something.

Ah I am only 0.3km from there (just put my post code and the post code for hill top in a route planner app on my phone). That must be it then. Looking at the info for my cabinet on Code Look it was giving a distance of 1061m for my road but I didn't realise that wasn't your distance to the cabinet.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »

Thanks. How much speed do people typically lose from crosstalk or does it vary? If it's more than 20mb then I think BT need to do something.

It varies tremendously, and randomly. It depends on the construction of the cables, and whether the copper pairs next to yours inside the cable are carrying VDSL2 or not. It depends on the distance between the old PCP (primary connection point, the green wiring cabinet) and the new FTTC cabinet. And it most certainly can amount to more than 20Mbps.

Given that the theoretical top speed of VDSL2, in the form BT are using it, is around 140Mbps, they're already doing something by only selling an "up to 80Mbps" service from it.

However, there is a technology that can help - a form of noise cancellation known as vectoring. However, BT are only planning to use that in a few locations, where it will help the longest lines.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »

As stated already codelook tells you the distance to the exchange, not the cabinet.
At 1.1km there would be no way you could get 80Mb as shown on the BTw checker.
Even getting your current 55Mb sync would be very unlikely at those distances without vectoring.

My line is around 950m-1000m and I sync at 52Mb (with a 3dB snrm target). With my attenuation of 24dB there's not a single line on MDWS with a similar or higher attenuation that syncs the same as or above me without vectoring. I'm at the very highest end of what is possible for 0.5mm copper and 1km from the cabinet. My estimate is only 42Mb on a clean/high line. None of my neighbours get over 40Mb.
So 80Mb is just not possible at anywhere near that distance.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

AngelRex

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »

Agreed - you're closer than that.

I'm 800m from my cab, 22.7 atten & 6.3 snr

I used to sync 40/7 with max 44/7.5

With the current snr I'm 35/6.5 with the max 37/7

Xup

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »

800M from the cab, with vectoring......shame about my upload speed . (BT52/10)