Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Comcast 2-gigabit, symmetrical fibre ...

(1/2) > >>

phi2008:
Saw this mentioned over in another forum, the much maligned Comcast apparently offer from r/homelab
--- End quote ---

2Gb symmetrical fibre for comcast_2gigabit_symmetrical_fiber_installed_today00/month.  :)

burakkucat:
Other than becoming a service provider to my N immediate neighbours at a monthly cost such that I make a profit, i.e. N x Cost > $300 (per month), I can see no real need for it . . . apart from bragging "Look what I've got".  :D

gt94sss2:
Ditto. I have just moved into a flat temporarily and had Hyperoptic installed - and even though I am not paying the bills - could see no point in getting the 1GB service* so settled for 100/100MB

(*especially with the crap Wifi on the router they supply)

WWWombat:
I think I'd be at the "bragging rights only" territory if I tried out G.Fast at 160Mbps

But I don't think the real, immediate benefit of fibre is the speed. It is the lack of there being a distance limitation (well, maybe 20-30km), and a lack of need for DLM.

Back when broadband first started, the extra speed was nice, but the game-changing difference was the "always on" nature. The fact it didn't block the phone line.

phi2008:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on October 15, 2017, 04:37:25 PM ---Other than becoming a service provider to my N immediate neighbours at a monthly cost such that I make a profit, i.e. N x Cost > $300 (per month), I can see no real need for it . . . apart from bragging "Look what I've got".  :D

--- End quote ---

He talks about using Veeam  backups so he is probably using it in the scope of his profession - that sub normally discusses enterprise hardware of some description, it's r/homelab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version