Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Night Landing Nice | Cockpit View 4K  (Read 1970 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Night Landing Nice | Cockpit View 4K
« on: October 14, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »

One of the many cockpit videos available on YouTube(best watched fullscreen) -

[youtube]rhI5XGwlnaI[/youtube]

:)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:35:27 AM by phi2008 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Night Landing Nice | Cockpit View 4K
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »

I don't have 4k so the full quality was a bit lost on me. :/
Good video though and all the flashing lights very pretty  ;D

I dont watch enough flight landings, so always find it weird though how the altimeter says 'retard retard'.  I read an explanation a few years ago what its supposed to mean and how its only specific to certain planes, but can't remember now.  It's not worth me looking it up again as with me not being an aviation buff I will have forgotten by the next time I hear it.  :-\

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »

I dont watch enough flight landings, so always find it weird though how the altimeter says 'retard retard'.  I read an explanation a few years ago what its supposed to mean and how its only specific to certain planes, but can't remember now.  It's not worth me looking it up again as with me not being an aviation buff I will have forgotten by the next time I hear it.  :-\

Basically telling the pilot to close the thrust levers to idle and around 20-30 feet and flare for landing. Apparently it is slightly different depending on the aircraft.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:21 AM »

The night landing reminded me of a flight I did once, Copenhagen to Karlskrona (Sweden), with a stopoff in Kristianstad.

Pre-9/11, and in a small Embraer model, it had no cockpit door, so you got a full-on view of the landing from back in the cabin. A night flight, with everything lit up and really clear ... it was fascinating to watch.

The most disconcerting bits are the various stages when the flaps are engaged, and the plane alters attitude. The target - a nicely lit runway - goes up the window, so it feels like you are going to plummet into the ground well short of the runway. It happens in this video too.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »

Basically telling the pilot to close the thrust levers to idle and around 20-30 feet and flare for landing. Apparently it is slightly different depending on the aircraft.

Stuart

Thanks for the info :)

...  but see, with me not knowing anything about aviation, doesn't even know what flare for landing means either.   It's one of those situations where to get an explanation, you also have to understand other things too.   I did look it up several years ago to a point where I kinda understood what was going on, but have since forgotten.   Hence the now very simplified thought that its the altimeter warning that they are at a certain height above ground and must now do X,Y or Z to prepare for landing.   That still doesn't stop the non-aviators from sniggering at the term 'retard' :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »

That was a good video. I used to make regular trips between UK and USA back in the day.

It's amazing how slow everything appears from the cockpit.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »

Landing in Nice during the day, with two different approaches -

[youtube]rjWG3WRM5yk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:02:02 PM by phi2008 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 09:25:23 PM »

St Maarten in the Caribbean landings have always amazed me - right over the heads of holiday makers on the beach.  :o
-----