(1/2) > >>

phi2008:
One of the many cockpit videos available on YouTube(best watched fullscreen) -

[youtube]rhI5XGwlnaI[/youtube]

:)

kitz:
I don't have 4k so the full quality was a bit lost on me. :/
Good video though and all the flashing lights very pretty  ;D

I dont watch enough flight landings, so always find it weird though how the altimeter says 'retard retard'.  I read an explanation a few years ago what its supposed to mean and how its only specific to certain planes, but can't remember now.  It's not worth me looking it up again as with me not being an aviation buff I will have forgotten by the next time I hear it.  :-\

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: kitz on October 14, 2017, 01:57:03 PM ---I dont watch enough flight landings, so always find it weird though how the altimeter says 'retard retard'.  I read an explanation a few years ago what its supposed to mean and how its only specific to certain planes, but can't remember now.  It's not worth me looking it up again as with me not being an aviation buff I will have forgotten by the next time I hear it.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Basically telling the pilot to close the thrust levers to idle and around 20-30 feet and flare for landing. Apparently it is slightly different depending on the aircraft.

Stuart

WWWombat:
The night landing reminded me of a flight I did once, Copenhagen to Karlskrona (Sweden), with a stopoff in Kristianstad.

Pre-9/11, and in a small Embraer model, it had no cockpit door, so you got a full-on view of the landing from back in the cabin. A night flight, with everything lit up and really clear ... it was fascinating to watch.

The most disconcerting bits are the various stages when the flaps are engaged, and the plane alters attitude. The target - a nicely lit runway - goes up the window, so it feels like you are going to plummet into the ground well short of the runway. It happens in this video too.

kitz:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on October 14, 2017, 02:27:29 PM ---Basically telling the pilot to close the thrust levers to idle and around 20-30 feet and flare for landing. Apparently it is slightly different depending on the aircraft.

Stuart

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info :)

...  but see, with me not knowing anything about aviation, doesn't even know what flare for landing means either.   It's one of those situations where to get an explanation, you also have to understand other things too.   I did look it up several years ago to a point where I kinda understood what was going on, but have since forgotten.   Hence the now very simplified thought that its the altimeter warning that they are at a certain height above ground and must now do X,Y or Z to prepare for landing.   That still doesn't stop the non-aviators from sniggering at the term 'retard' :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version