Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Now I'm Up Here, Who Wants their Circuit Fixing?  (Read 1493 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Now I'm Up Here, Who Wants their Circuit Fixing?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »

The feline was stuck at the top of a telegraph pole in the Handsworth area of Birmingham

I am surprised to hear that Birmingham still uses the Telegraph for communications.  Makes my 20Mbps fttc seem quite good, in comparison.  ::)

Apols, I began to ponder a few days ago, why it is we still refer to “telegraph poles”.   But if further discussion is merited, it should probably have its own thread. :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:34:54 PM »

Apols, I began to ponder a few days ago, why it is we still refer to “telegraph poles”.   But if further discussion is merited, it should probably have its own thread. :D

This is "Chit Chat", so I see no reason why a thread cannot meander here, there and everywhere.  :)

Other words or phrases still in use --

dial
dialling code
dialling tone
hang up
instrument
permanent glow
ring
ring back
ringing tone
subscriber

-- and I am sure there are more.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:30:01 AM »

Back on topic, it does seem to be a design flaw recurring through various species, from feline claws to human fingers & toes, and many others... 

...optimised for climbing.  With little recognition for how to  get down again. :D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:34 AM »

With little recognition for how to  get down again. :D

But evolved to survive, nonetheless... Who, What, Why: How do cats survive falls from great heights?

I recall seeing stats that the survival rate for falling cats gets worse as the height increases to 7 stories, then gets better ... as the cat has enough time to start employing its survival skills.

Interesting to read in that BBC story that cats are arboreal!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »

What an interesting post.  Thankfully the tale ended without catastrophe

/groan

>>  the survival rate for falling cats gets worse as the height increases to 7 stories, then gets better.

Thanks for the linky - explains a few things.   My Ziggy - enigma cat of nine live and more - fell only about 6 foot from first branch on a tree and unfortunately shattered the top his femur when he was tiny.  I watched in slo-mo horror as he didn't quite have enough time to right himself and crashed down onto a concrete flag.   :'( :'(

He now has a 'false' hip joint after having to have a Femoral Head Ostectomy.   With him being so young his inexperience probably didnt help much either as it was one of his first excursions into the garden. 
He got his first ever sighting of a bird in the tree, ran up after it and learnt the hard way that birds aren't quite as heavy as cats and they have the ability to fly.  You can see from the photo below which part of his body hit the ground first.

He's actually done very well after the FHO op.  For many months he couldnt even jump up on the sofa, but because he was young it gave him an advantage of being able to form a false hip joint purely from muscle.   He learnt to run and jump after I got Zoe and matched her progress as she started to climb and explore.  :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything