Chat > Chit Chat

Now I'm Up Here, Who Wants their Circuit Fixing?

(1/2) > >>

burakkucat:
From the BBC --

"Height fright makes Birmingham moggy a 'pole cat'."

:)

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote ---The feline was stuck at the top of a telegraph pole in the Handsworth area of Birmingham

--- End quote ---

I am surprised to hear that Birmingham still uses the Telegraph for communications.  Makes my 20Mbps fttc seem quite good, in comparison.  ::)

Apols, I began to ponder a few days ago, why it is we still refer to “telegraph poles”.   But if further discussion is merited, it should probably have its own thread. :D

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on October 12, 2017, 11:10:56 PM ---Apols, I began to ponder a few days ago, why it is we still refer to “telegraph poles”.   But if further discussion is merited, it should probably have its own thread. :D

--- End quote ---

This is "Chit Chat", so I see no reason why a thread cannot meander here, there and everywhere.  :)

Other words or phrases still in use --

dial
dialling code
dialling tone
hang up
instrument
permanent glow
ring
ring back
ringing tone
subscriber

-- and I am sure there are more.

sevenlayermuddle:
Back on topic, it does seem to be a design flaw recurring through various species, from feline claws to human fingers & toes, and many others... 

...optimised for climbing.  With little recognition for how to  get down again. :D

WWWombat:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on October 13, 2017, 12:30:01 AM ---With little recognition for how to  get down again. :D

--- End quote ---

But evolved to survive, nonetheless... Who, What, Why: How do cats survive falls from great heights?

I recall seeing stats that the survival rate for falling cats gets worse as the height increases to 7 stories, then gets better ... as the cat has enough time to start employing its survival skills.

Interesting to read in that BBC story that cats are arboreal!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version