Announcements > News Articles

CableLabs Finish Spec for Symmetric 10Gbps DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Broadband

(1/3) > >>

Bowdon:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/cablelabs-finish-spec-symmetric-10gbps-docsis-3-1-cable-broadband.html

--- Quote ---The dream of 10Gbps (Gigabits per second) capable Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 technology, which could one day be deployed on Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) based cable networks like Virgin Media, has taken another step forward after CableLabs completed the technology’s official specification.

At present Virgin Media’s network in the United Kingdom is predominantly based off the older EuroDOCSIS 3 (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) technology, which is a variant of the DOCSIS 3.0 cable standard that has been adapted to EU frequency allocations and permits more bandwidth for the downstream data path.

The top download speed that Virgin offers to consumers over their current UK network is 350Mbps (20Mbps upload), although they could push this quite a bit further if they wanted (500Mbps might be the next upgrade). In the very near future we also expect Virgin and other cable operators to adopt the latest DOCSIS 3.1 standard, which can in theory deliver peak network speeds of 10Gbps download and 1Gbps upload (end-users won’t get this top speed).
--- End quote ---

I hope VM continue to make progress on improving their network. I'd like to see them improve the current hub 3 they use as it seems to have problems with the intel chip inside, which causes problems for a lot of people gaming with lag etc.

I think if VM just improve their network so it can reach the advertised speeds in at least 80% of cases then that would be a good thing for all the industry. Having a strong rival to Openreach and others Fibre network will improve competition. At the moment it feels like BT/OR are in a 'who blinks first' competition with VM.

Ronski:
According to TBB VM have been improving their network and congestion issues.

They are currently rolling out full fibre in my area, my street is being cabled this week, so once live I will be changing over to VM.

Bowdon:
Thats great Ronski,

Once your on the new service you'll have to report back with your thoughts on it.

It'll be interesting to hear.

Ronski:
Certainly will, once in gets to instalation time I'll start a thread.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Ronski on October 12, 2017, 05:34:29 PM ---Certainly will, once in gets to instalation time I'll start a thread.

--- End quote ---

Would you be able to use both, side-by-side, for a compare and contrast report?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version