Computers & Hardware > Networking

WiFi - interesting product!

(1/4) > >>

z1ts:
Hi!

Keen to get everyone's views on these:- www.bgelectrical.uk/WiFi

Work of the devil (interference etc.) or pure genius?

!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway:
I'm not at all keen on the idea of electronics being built into a mains socket. Maybe I'm being overcautious, but in my opinion these are a potential fire hazard.

tiffy:

--- Quote from: z1ts on October 12, 2017, 11:19:24 AM ---Hi!

Keen to get everyone's views on these:- www.bgelectrical.uk/WiFi

Work of the devil (interference etc.) or pure genius?

!!!!!!

--- End quote ---

Wondering if this works on the "home plug" principle, ie. putting RF through the ring main circuit, would seem logical if it's built into a ring main socket, if so then there would have to be another unit (or home plug) near the router with an ethernet connection to act as a transceiver ?

Note that a lot of the forum members strongly dislike "home plugs" and believe that they can be a source of RF noise to the router in certain circumstances.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: tiffy on October 12, 2017, 11:59:02 AM ---Wondering if this works on the "home plug" principle, ie. putting RF through the ring main circuit, would seem logical if it's built into a ring main socket, if so then there would have to be another unit (or home plug) near the router with an ethernet connection to act as a transceiver ?

--- End quote ---

No, according to the documentation it is a "range extender".

As for the product, I give it one of my most grumpy, black, looks.  >:(

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: roseway on October 12, 2017, 11:35:53 AM ---I'm not at all keen on the idea of electronics being built into a mains socket. Maybe I'm being overcautious, but in my opinion these are a potential fire hazard.

--- End quote ---

Echo that, especially as it seems to have no on/off switch.

In particular the day will come when, like all electronic products no matter how well made, it malfunctions in some way.   Being a thing that is broken you’d want to isolate its supply pending repair which might mean, at the least, switching off an entire circuit at the fusebox, affecting much of your home until such time as you can find an electrician to come and isolate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version