Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interleaving and delay question?  (Read 2785 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Interleaving and delay question?
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »

Hope someone can offer some advice please..

Have always been on fast path since taking vdsl and at times when there  have been problems in the past and dlm applies interleaving and delay I usually find it's removed 1-2 weeks  after being applied max.

Come 5 weeks this Saturday my line is still not back to fast path even though es on up and down have been less than 10 per day, some days I have no errors at all. The cause 5 weeks ago was due to a faulty modem causing about 10 resyncs in quick succession. At the time I missed the event so could not intervene till afterwards.

Why wont DLM let go and return me to fast path as it's not been an issue in the past? when int and delay was applied back in September it also incurred about 5mb loss on the ds sync ..I was hoping  to gain some back when it was removed....I don't appear to be banded from what I can see.

Any thoughts appreciated, cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Interleaving and delay question?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »

Each time the DLM takes any action it takes a longer period of time before removal. It's something like:-
1 full day of ILQ green
9/10 consecutive days of ILQ green
14 consecutive days of ILQ green.
Not sure what comes next but the periods continue to get extended.

A few years back they supposedly used the doubler method, but later changed it to provide better stability against lines flapping.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »

Ok thanks Kitz for the info.

5 weeks green lol.. it's not looking good  ???

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:36 PM »

i think 3 more weeks and it will revert

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:41:39 AM »

I'd suggest capping the line at 55Mb (or lower if you can manage with it) and in 48 hours it will likely return to fastpath. When on ECI cabinet I was ILQ green for over 6 months with interleaving stuck. 2 days with the line capped and it removed.

Exact same happened when I was switched to the Huawei cabinet. I was interleaved for the 1st 9 weeks despite again being ILQ green. Then within 2 days of capping the line it returned to fastpath.

I'm of the belief that DLM pays attention to other stats when considering removing interleaving, particularly FECs. Your FECs aren't very high but I still think a cap might shake the interleaving.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »

I'd suggest capping the line at 55Mb (or lower if you can manage with it) and in 48 hours it will likely return to fastpath. When on ECI cabinet I was ILQ green for over 6 months with interleaving stuck. 2 days with the line capped and it removed.

Exact same happened when I was switched to the Huawei cabinet. I was interleaved for the 1st 9 weeks despite again being ILQ green. Then within 2 days of capping the line it returned to fastpath.

I'm of the belief that DLM pays attention to other stats when considering removing interleaving, particularly FECs. Your FECs aren't very high but I still think a cap might shake the interleaving.

Thanks John for your suggestion - its worth a go. I have dropped it to 54 on the ds approx so lets see what happens

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:46 AM »

I'm also of the same belief.

Note that SIN 498, governing VDSL2 modems, doesn't require that CPE modems return much in the way of error counts to the DSLAM - certainly not as much as we see in the statistics printout.

However, what it does require is the following:
- FEC
- ES (Errored Seconds)
- SES (Severe Errored Seconds)
- FECS (FEC Seconds)

The last item is not the FEC counter. The FEC counter and FECS counter have the same relationship as the CRC counter and the ES counter have. Neither FECS nor ES should go over 900 in a 15 minute period.

My belief is that DLM, when it makes decisions over de-intervention, also takes into account the FECS counter. It is a shame that we never get to see it.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »

I'm also of the same belief.

Note that SIN 498, governing VDSL2 modems, doesn't require that CPE modems return much in the way of error counts to the DSLAM - certainly not as much as we see in the statistics printout.

However, what it does require is the following:
- FEC
- ES (Errored Seconds)
- SES (Severe Errored Seconds)
- FECS (FEC Seconds)

The last item is not the FEC counter. The FEC counter and FECS counter have the same relationship as the CRC counter and the ES counter have. Neither FECS nor ES should go over 900 in a 15 minute period.

My belief is that DLM, when it makes decisions over de-intervention, also takes into account the FECS counter. It is a shame that we never get to see it.

I think this is true at least in the sense of the final step of removing interleaving altogether (traditional interleaving that is). I've been sitting on INP 3, delay 8ms, for quite a while now despite ES+SES counters and re-syncs being well within the green threshold. On the other hand I'm getting an absurd amount of FEC errors per minute, so while DLM did nudge me down from INP 4, delay 12ms, it hasn't nudged me down again from INP 3, delay 8ms, to fastpath yet.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:18 AM »

seems John's idea was a winner, thanks John.
After introducing the manual cap 8 days ago today brings the return to fast path. 5 weeks with no cap kept interleaving and delay applied. Will be using this method again should issues occur.

anything