Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Variations in available speeds  (Read 1880 times)

TomT

Variations in available speeds
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »

Hi.

I've sold my house and am now looking at other properties.
Two we are going to view are off the same street. They are about 0.4 mil apart, both are serviced by the same exchange (Poulton) and both from the same street cabinet.

One house shows available fibre speeds up to 80, the other up to 25.
I'm trying to work out why..  obviously the more expensive house has the faster connection!

Anyway I can find out more ?

Thanks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Variations in available speeds
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »

Ha ha ...... the law of sod, regarding the more expensive house having a higher speed estimate. Obviously, for noobs looking on ... the cost of the house doesn't play any part in the speed you will get ... that is basically down to the distance from the serving DSLAM cabinet.

TomT .... I'm note sure what other info you are after ?? The 0.4miles between the two premises is probably the difference between the estimates. The underground cable run will be likely be greater in distance, than the distance if you were to walk between the two premises.

You are literally a neighbour of Kitz in Poulton (Lovely place) .... and somewhere I get over to from time to time.  :) 

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »

If the more expensive property is the one that's closer to the cabinet then that would explain the difference.

FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) loses speed as it travels to your property from the cabinet via the copper telephone line. at 800m (0.5mile) the 25 estimate is not unreasonable. I'm at 853m (BT measured) and get around 30 ish and your guess at 800m may be a bit low as there's no easy way of telling how the line is actually routed to you - they sometimes go backwards on the way! If the relative distances are correct and the more expensive one is physically closest, go for the more expensive property if you can afford it - otherwise you'll regret it for a long as you are there :'(

The estimates aren't guaranteed of course. And to be safe and sure, it would be worth checking to see if either house has fibre and if so what the actual speed(s) are in advance if you can?

If you have postcodes someone here with the necessary resources might be able to come up with more information.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:29:14 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

0.4 miles is massive for FTTC distance.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

0.4 miles is massive for FTTC distance.

Indeed. 70% of properties have a D-side length less than 600m in total, never mind cases where the 600m is extra compared to some other property.

@TomT
You can use the attached graph to figure the "sweet spot" in distances.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »

I guess I'm lucky in as much as my D-side is on the 600mtr mark, and I get 59Mbps. This is fed over 0.5mm copper, no aluminium.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »

With apologies for intruding!

Seeing this thread reminded me that some time ago,in my idleness :o, I listed all the estimates for the roads around served by my cabinet.

They were logical. Houses in direct line had estimates that reduced by distance from the cabinet.

Now there are oddities not there before.odd #1-3 and #11-17 = 61.3, but #5-9 = 66.1. There are other similar anomalies, that did not exist before. The area is mature, so no building work, but in the meantime my PCP has gained a second FTTC cabinet, a Huwaiei against the old ECI. Could those benficiaries be on the new cab?

Rules of thumb seem to be getting somewhat unreliable.

Also noticed the additional info re line condition is no more.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:46:04 PM by renluop »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »

I don't think that's an anomaly to be honest. It's the same thing I see in my street. The estimates are based on how neighbouring lines perform and crosstalk is very variable. If number 7 gets a lower speed it might lower 5 and 9's estimate?

I find similar results in my street where the estimates go up and down by a few Mb between different properties next to each other. I think most streets are like this on the checker. It's not massively accurate in comparing neighbouring properties, with small variations.

It is accurate in that on average it does show decreasing estimates as you get further away from the cabinet.
This is what the OP is seeing where there's 400m between properties, so the differences in estimates are huge.

I'd love to see what data they use for the estimates, and how exactly it's worked out. What causes 2 neighbouring lines from the same DP, both without FTTC, to have 5Mb difference in estimates.

My line has always had a clean high of 40Mb. That's despite me starting at 55Mb. Downstream handback threshold was 25Mb.
I just noticed today that this has gone up to 42Mb clean high, and 29Mb handback.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

TomT

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I assume there is nothing I can do to get a better speed at the 'cheaper' property ?

Thanks

anything