Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Start up....  (Read 13973 times)

jazz

• Reg Member
Re: Start up....
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »

Thanks dave.m. I use XP and thought that 4Gb was probably pointless.  My computer manual says that although I could support 4Gb it is unlikely that my OS would use that much.

I have four memory slots to be used in matched pairs.  Slots 1 and 2 currently have two x 256Mb cards in.  Crucial suggested that I keep those and add two x 512Mb or two x 1Gb cards in slots 3 and 4 which are currently empty.  I realise that the slowest part of the system will dictate the fastest speed of operation and I have no particular wish to overdo an upgrade - I would just like to get up to 1Gig or so.  I think I may contact Dell technical help for advice on whether to add to the cards I already have or to replace them with eg twox 1 Gb cards

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »

Jazz,
Do you know, have you a separate graphics card or is it an onboard embedded card?
If you have an onboard graphics card then get a couple of 1GB cards for slots 3 and 4, leave the 2 x 256 MB in and that way you will have plenty of memory after your graphics have laid claim to their bit of memory from your RAM.
If you have aseparate graphics card the the two 512 MB cards would be enough along with your existing 2 x 256 MB. That would give you about 1½ GB for your RAM.
dave

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »

Thanks dave.m - you're being really helpful to me on this one.  Your suggestions make eminent sense.  I don't think I have a separate graphics card installed - I don't remember reallyy as my computer is now nearly 4 years old.  I'll pursue your suggestions with Dell anyway.

@Chrissie
My apologies to you since I seem to have "taken over" your original post.  It was your query about 256Mb memory that "set me off".  I hope dave.m's replies to me have been as helpful to you in thinking about computer memory upgrades as they have been to me

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

Update

I've spoken to Dell about this.  They advise that I replace the existing memory cards completely and get 2x512Mb or 2x1Gb cards.  Reason is that the old cards run at 400MHz and the new ones run at 667MHz.  If I try to run them together thay'll all be brought down to the slowest speed.  I think I'll go for 2x1Gb cards as the cost difference compared to 512Mb cards is very slight.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »

Yes, jazz, go for the biggie............the difference to your PC will surprise you, and as you say the cost difference is not worth thinking about.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

Ebuyer have a handy little memory checker, plus their prices are pretty competitive:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Memory---Desktop?refmen=tn
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »

When you've done that we can sort out your graphics. :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »

:lol:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »

What's so funny?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »

Once he's spent dosh sorting out his memory - then look at upgrading his graphics?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

@ Kitz,don't forget Floydy comes from a wealthy area.  :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »

Well I suppose it depends whether Jelv is a gamer or not... if not then upgrading the graphics needn't break the bank (remember I'm a Yorkshireman an hence well versed in looking for value for money).

Now where's that biscuit tin under the bed?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

Well I suppose it depends whether Jelv is a gamer or not... if not then upgrading the graphics needn't break the bank (remember I'm a Yorkshireman an hence well versed in looking for value for money).

Now where's that biscuit tin under the bed?

:D

Just like me Floydy,I will scour the internet to save a quid. :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »

Well the graphics card I invested in a while back cost just under £35 and is excellent for my needs.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=805.0

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »

I just thought I should worry about one thing at a time!  Putting in this new memory will be the first time I've taken the cover off a machine (other than to remove and destroy bits when I've scrapped them in the past!). 

Perhaps if it is successful I'll start to think about other things.  However, I'm quite happy with my graphics at the moment so we'll see! I'll let you lnow how I get on anyway. ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything