Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Start up....  (Read 13792 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Start up....
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:17 AM »

Not sure if this is in the right section... but hopefully one of you techy brains may be able to help me out.

I have a wannado connection on the task bar and it's in the start up on msconfig.  I have Orange (spit) broad band connection now so do I really need the wannado connection kit still running?  Would it be ok to disable it in start up do you know?

Thanks for your help...... I'm a technophobic but willing to learn to overcome it!

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Start up....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:13:47 AM »

hi chrissie

i've never actually seen that software but you could untick it in msconfig and reboot and test the connection.

if it dont work, retick it and reboot !!

Paul

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »

It should be fine to uninstall the Wanadon't stuff from control panel / add remove programs.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

Chrissie, did you get it sorted?

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 05:41:58 AM »

Hi Floydy.... yes I disabled the wannadont from the startup.... and ms office too as I dont' think that should be starting up as I don't use it.  Wondering what else I can disable from startup to help the computer boot up quicker?.... it takes about 6 - 8 minutes on a good day... not good methinks.  Didn't take the connection kit off yet because.... what happens if I need to use dial up again if BB goes down??  As you know I'm a born again techyphobe so I know nuthing.....and scared to muck up things.  There is, I'm afraid, no hope for me  :'(

PS.  I think I need to have the RAM upgraded, only got 256MB and I occasionally get up the message that virtual memory (I think it says)... is very low....scream.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »

@ Chrissie,I only had 256mb ram in my last computer,when I got my new one last year it came with 2GB,wow what a difference.Memory is quite cheap at the moment,if you do not feel up to doing yourself,PC world will do it instore for you.I have installed ram in my computer in the past(and I'm no techie).It is one of the easiest things to upgrade.Turn off,open computer,take out old ram,carefully push new in place,close up,reboot and windows automatically recognises the new memory.  :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »

Try your local friendly PC repair shop and ask them to upgrade you to a gigabyte of RAM - as uncy says it shouldn't be too expensive - probably not more than £30, and well worth it.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »

@UncleUB - I've been thinking of upgrading my RAM too but am not very techie.  Is it a simple matter of pulling one card out and putting the new one in? - or is soldering involved??  If it is just a simple lift out and replace the card then I would certainly go for it as I only have 512Mb RAM and Dell site shows I could get a 1Gb card from them for about £24 delivered.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »

No soldering.
The modules are held in place with little plastic clips, one at each end.
Raise the clips, pull out module (it may be stiff to come out), put in new modules ( it will need a bit of pressure) and close clips.

When you take the exising module out, look at it's orientation..............on the business side is a row of contacts with a tiny gap at one point, and the new module's gap has to go where the old one was.

I am completely non-tech, but have done this twice now without problem. But, make sure you are earthed before touching any internal components.

There is a nice illustrated step-by-step guide at http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/install-ram.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:12:24 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »

Jazz,Tufted has summed it up.By earthing yourself,just touch something metal,ie radiator before you start.Most memory kits come with instructions.Check out memory sites for the correct memory you need.IE,Crucial or Kingston.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »

Oops, sorry unkyUb................just noticed that jazz directed his question at yourself. Sorry to but in.  :-[

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »

Thanks to both of you...Great help!!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »

No  worries Tufted.  :)

Jazz,heres the link to Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx?gclid=CP2KzeienpMCFQ4uHgodjx7yZA

Also when you find what your looking for, www.dvd.co.uk. They have great prices on memory.  ;)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »

Thanks again - that Crucial scanner was very helpful.  I find that I could go to 4Gb if I replaced my current memory but just by adding to it to what's already there I could get 2.5Gb as I have 2 slots empty.  I think memory upgrade will definitely go on my shopping list! :)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »

Jazz,
I do not know what your OS is, XP or Vista, but XP will only recognise and use about 3.2GB so to get 4GB is a waste of money.
I would, at the most add 2 x 1GB sticks to slots 1 and 2 and, if you want, move the existing stick into slot 3.
dave
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything