Announcements > News Articles

Washington Post - Kasperksy software used by Russians as a spy tool.

(1/4) > >>

renluop:
An article suggests that Russia may be using Kapersky for hacking in to western systems.

Dray:
That's why the US government banned Kaspersky Labs software from federal computers amid concerns over Kremlin ties reported on September 13 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/13/us-government-bans-kaspersky-labs-software-federal-computers/

kitz:
I cant read the original link without a subscription :/

But this seems a right tangled web with spies spying on spies and hackers hacking hackers.  There does appear to be some sort of leak dating back years, the big question is were Kaspersky aware or is it as some sources have claimed that Russia may have made use of an exploit in their code.   

The one thought that strikes me is that because this has been bubbling underneath the surface for so long, I would like to have thought that Kapersky could at have at least checked their own source for signs of malicious code.  Also why would Kaspersky risk their reputation. 
Don't know enough about it though other than someone was supposedly monitoring certain NSA data back in 2015.

sevenlayermuddle:
Tempting to add two and two and make five.   :-\

Circa 25 years back, I attended a job interview with a well known UK pioneer of AV.  A small British company, with a British name.      The position I applied for was based just on programming skills, and experience of networking and UI.    I took the opportunity to ask my interviewer (the then CEO) what kind of people were employed to do the real, nuts & bolts, virus discovery and analysis, that being a skill set I could not identify with?

Answer was, “They are invariably Russian, they seem to have the aptitude”.   

Point being, if the Russians were intent on infiltrating AV distributors, which I doubt, it would not just affect those with Russian-sounding names. :)

Personally I have high regard for Eugene K as an individual, for standing up to, and destroying, some US patent trolls causing grief for App developers a few years ago.   I also like kasperski’s product, it is the only paid AV I have ever used beyond the free trial period.

Chrysalis:
USA propaganda machine at work :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version