Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: KCOM on Roadworks.org  (Read 1696 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
KCOM on Roadworks.org
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:16:33 AM »

My mum is likely to get KCOM's Lightstream in 2-3 months, so I thought I'd take a look at what Roadworks.org had to say...

Nothing, unfortunately, for my mum. However, this picture stood out as booked roadworks for today... attached below. Nearly every road in a whole area!

Almost every marker is set over a 2 week period, for KCOM, and almost every one is marked "Clear Blockages". It is an interesting blanket approach, that must be agreed with the council.

The checker run on a sample of the streets reports that Lightstream will be available in Jan/Feb 2018 or Feb/Mar 2018..

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: KCOM on Roadworks.org
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »

Very interesting. But I don't think anything significant can deduced about the physical infrastructure.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: KCOM on Roadworks.org
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »

I agree. In fact, I'd err on the side of labelling this as "precautionary".

It is certinly a contrast to the way we've seen BT do things, where they'd assume no blockage, and delay the work if a blockage turned up ... go through the roadworks planning phase, and call in a separate team a month later.

Of course, most of what we see BT do is oriented at spine and FTTC, rather than needing to blanket cover an area.