Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT V TALK TALK in the exchange  (Read 3387 times)

steve.cook@onsite-renewab

• Just arrived
BT V TALK TALK in the exchange
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »

Hi Can anybody help, i am getting conflicting messages from both BT and Talk talk, my business broadband is very slow, so i have considered moving to talk talk business, talk talk tell me that their equipment in the exchange is new and fast, and BT equipment is old and slow. BT claim that all the equipment is the same, it makes no difference - does anybody know?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: BT V TALK TALK in the exchange
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »

Depends on what type of broadband you order.
For ADSL based services Talktalk will have their own equipment in the exchange.
For FTTC they both share the equipment in the street cabinet.
It's the same phone line gong to both, so speeds shouldn't be much different.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

steve.cook@onsite-renewab

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »

Thanks, this is just normal BB not fibre, so are the speeds going to be different between the two please

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:27:19 PM »

BT will offer a service based on BT Wholesale equipment, while TalkTalk Business will likely offer a service from their own equipment. Both then have their own backhaul and core networks to get traffic to the internet.

Depending on the exchange, TT's own equipment might be the same as BT, or might be faster. The backhaul doesn't often make much difference, but in some cases can prove to be congested.

Probably the best place to look for what BT Wholesale will supply is here:
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Use either the phone number checker, or if that doesn't work, use the address checker in preference to the postcode checker but start by only putting your postcode in, and selecting full address from the second list.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

talk talk tell me that their equipment in the exchange is new and fast, and BT equipment is old and slow.

That may be stretching the truth a bit - certainly for most exchanges.   BT do still have a few 20CN exchanges, but those exchanges seldom have TT LLU anyhow.
Equipment is likely to be similar except perhaps the MSAN manufacturer.   As mentioned backhaul can make a difference.   I note you say TT Business, so you should get priority when it comes to any congestion. TTB is better than TT general consumer.

When it comes to line connection speed because of the copper, it will be the same.     TT has a slight advantage in that their DLM is a bit more configurable than the BTwholesale one as the ISP has more control.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »

Simple answer: probably not.

anything